Advice Appreciated...and welcome...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SS looks "stock" on the outside, "cept for the stanless 21/2" exhaust tips" and the permaplate (never seen rain/wet) shine.. it's a "bolt-on special" about $5K of 'em..more info can be found under my sig on the Imapala forum, same name...your the first I think to lean to 10W-30 M1...
grin.gif
dunno.gif
cheers.gif
Jeff

quote:

You have some oils and SAE viscosities you are getting good results with and you like. You sound like you know what you are doing so I am paying attention
I would like to know what oil temperatures are you running so I can figure out your in use real viscosity and decide if those are what I want for my application.

Unfortunately I do not have an oil temp gauge on my car, so I cannot say with any degree of certainty as to what my oil temps truly are. I do know an approximate coolant temp though, based on scan tool testing, and my car runs about 195-200F on the highway and about 225-230F when stuck in traffic.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Unfortunately I do not have an oil temp gauge on my car, so I cannot say with any degree of certainty as to what my oil temps truly are. I do know an approximate coolant temp though, based on scan tool testing, and my car runs about 195-200F on the highway and about 225-230F when stuck in traffic.

Thanks Patman, that's just what I was looking for. I'm still learning what my oil temps are, I have an oil temp gauge, but have only had the car since November so don't know what I will be seeing in the summer yet. Based on your numbers xW-40 M1 will be none to viscous for my application. I'm seeing similar temps to your's now, but considering I'm not in the GWN I may be at your summer temps now
smile.gif

When I am made King, everyone will have an oil temperature gauge and be required to observe it
lol.gif

I think an oil temperature gauge should be standard on any performance oriented car for sure! Luckily my next car has one (C5 Corvette), along with trans temp too!

So reading about OW oils, racing and high temp protection on the other threads, should I use Mobil One :OW-40 or OW-30 instead of 5W-30 or 5W-40...or do the additives mean 10W-30 is better all around...and for 3 years...yeowww
banghead.gif
twak.gif
shocked.gif

So whats the diff between these weights and performance in the Mobil One brand??
blush.gif
time for a
cheers.gif
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I think an oil temperature gauge should be standard on any performance oriented car for sure! Luckily my next car has one (C5 Corvette), along with trans temp too!

Great Idea. That in combo with an oil pressure gauge would yield a lot of interesting info. Presumably the oil temp gauge sender should be in the sump, right?

I am sort of relying on my oil pressure gauge to tell me when my oil is getting hotter than normal. Occasionally when I run it hard the pressure will drop 3 top 5 psi. Haven't had the gauge in the summer though, so I may be in for a rude suprise on those 90 degree days.

Leaning to Mobil One 0W-40 for the SS, (don't mind the qt bottles or higher price w/ still the UPF52 filter), but for "gas mileage and cost" ( I can get 5qt jugs of 5w-30/10w-30 Mobil One at savings $$)" gonna still run the Mazda and Yota on M1 5W-30 w/ Pure One filters...am I thinking correct??
dunno.gif
pat.gif
grin.gif
, or does the lack of temps hardly ever below 25'F mean I'd be better off w/ 10w-30 (or Ow-30 cause of the overall protection/flow)...these last two cars will have 5K-7.5K intervals...
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back