advantages of full syn over blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by 94 formula:
how does it compare to thier fully synthetic in places other than drain intrvals?

I'm really not sure, there aren't too many people on here that use the full synthetic Schaeffer oil, since the blend does so well.

I imagine more people (ME included) would try it if its smallest container wasn't 30 gallons. Bob/David, can smaller quanties be ordered?
dunno.gif

Mark

I think it can, as Al is using their synthetic in one of his family's cars and I'm pretty sure he didn't have to order it in a huge batch like that.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
A fully synthetic oil is going to be able to go longer drain intervals and will have better cold weather properties than a blend would. Keep in mind most store bought blends are a huge ripoff as they are only 10% group 3 in their base oil, and don't really offer any benefits.

Although in the case of Schaeffer blends it appears they perform just as well as many full syns do, but that is a unique case. I can't think of another blend out there that compares to Schaeffer's blends. Their blend is about 25% synthetic.

The MSDS shows 20-25 percent PAO on the 15/40 Supreme only,,the others I beleive are shown in the 16-20 percent range if memory seves me correct.

To the topic,I like blends but for long drain intervals I don't like near dead residual dino left over that does not drain out,,at moderate intervals for me at least of 5-6k blends,more than that I would prefer a pure synlube,,just how I would work it for my own use anyway
smile.gif

Much like Bob, I'm a rebel though, and I plan on pushing this blend past 10k and beyond. I'm sure my engine won't self destruct.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Much like Bob, I'm a rebel though, and I plan on pushing this blend past 10k and beyond. I'm sure my engine won't self destruct.
smile.gif

I did not say your motor or anyone elses would self destruct just to clarify
smile.gif
,I said I prefer not to run a oil to it's limit or past and pour new oil on top of near dead residual dino,blend or not I believe it will tend to make the next interval a shorter one making the oil clean up whats left over and knocking the TBN down prematurely.What you or anyone else does is your own business,thats why I chose the words I used as in the way "I " prefer to do things
wink.gif

I know what you are doing,and that is not a interval. Intervals are when you run to X miles and change oils and filter,you are changing filters and topping off with new oil last I read anyway but that was yesterday,this is a new dawn
tongue.gif

Per Tech Data Sheet on #156
Packaging: #156 Moly Pure Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil is available in 55 gallon drums and 30 gallon drums
If it's avaiklable in lesser quantities it is not advertised,my fault
blush.gif

I asked David for a price on #156 and he said it's not popular and he'd have to look for it.

Mark

Yeah it is a SJ oil and probably loaded with the good stuff
smile.gif
Too bad it can't be had in at least 5 gallon buckets. Storage if sealed properly would not be a problem and I bet alot would be sold. I would like some for myself ! If pricing was friendly to the wallet
smile.gif

[ January 05, 2003, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

It very well could be available in smaller doses. I've noticed their spec sheets aren't kept up to date with regard to available container sizes.

David

A fully synthetic oil is going to be able to go longer drain intervals and will have better cold weather properties than a blend would. Keep in mind most store bought blends are a huge ripoff as they are only 10% group 3 in their base oil, and don't really offer any benefits.

Although in the case of Schaeffer blends it appears they perform just as well as many full syns do, but that is a unique case. I can't think of another blend out there that compares to Schaeffer's blends. Their blend is about 25% synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back