Advance Auto Parts Mercon V????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about the numerous posts.......My concern is this seems to be the same as coastal multi ATF. The MSDS for it on advance says "ADVANCE MERCON 5 UNIVERSAL SYNTHETIC BLEND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID". I just now found out you could get the MSDS from their site. I thought you had to go to the manufacturer's site. Is this ok for my ford ranger that requires Mercon V? I do not want to put in the wrong fluid and damage my transmission and the "UNIVERSAL" part is confusing me. I bought this to do a flush as it was the only fluid I could find in sufficient quantities to do the job.

PLEASE HELP

Originally Posted By: lambrose
Is it a good quality fluid? I was wondering if it was conventional, semi-synthetic or synthetic.

If I were looking for a good quality Mercon V Trans Fluid I would either use Amsoil ATF or Redline D4.

Another choice would be Motorcraft Mercon V.

I think the Advance Auto Parts Trans Fluid is probably an adequate trans fluid for a car that you would only keep for a few years, if you plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time then invest in a better trans fluid, JMO.

Well I called Warren Unilube and spoke to a tech rep . He told me that the AAP Mercon V is Indeed Licensed by Ford as meeting the Mercon V specification. The License # is M5020801 if anyone is interested.

He gave me an ear full of info about the oil industry. For instance All Mercon V meets the Chrysler+4 specs but it can not be advertised. Chrysler demands that all +4 fluid be sold in a seperate labeled bottle to recieve royalties. They have legal protections in place to ensure this. I found out that GM is comming out with their own oil specs next year and in order to advertise that your product meets them you will have to pay GM a royalty. It really is all about the money. Ford does license products that meet their specs but at this time does not charge companies for them. However you can not use the name Mercon or Mercon V unless you have a license since the name is protected by copyright laws.

He did say that there is NO one size fits all fluid. Mercon V is as close as it gets to one but Dex V and Merc SP&LV through a wrench in the works.

Now all this does not address the overall quality of the APP Mercon V vs the other brands like Castrol and Valvoline but it is good food for thought.

Now all this does not address the overall quality of the APP Mercon V vs the other brands like Castrol and Valvoline but it is good food for thought.

i thought the license ensured the quality?

Originally Posted By: c3po
Is it a good quality fluid? I was wondering if it was conventional, semi-synthetic or synthetic.

If I were looking for a good quality Mercon V Trans Fluid I would either use Amsoil ATF or Redline D4.

Another choice would be Motorcraft Mercon V.

I think the Advance Auto Parts Trans Fluid is probably an adequate trans fluid for a car that you would only keep for a few years, if you plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time then invest in a better trans fluid, JMO.

It should be noted that this is OPINION and has no basis in fact.

I am just looking for a good brand of Mercon V and was wondering if the Advance brand made by Warren is any good. I agree, I do not want to hear Amsoil, Redline or Royal Purple either, I just could not bring myself to pay that much for oil products. If I can't get it at the auto parts store off the shelf, I don't want it. When I hear Amsoil all I can think of is Amway. I dont know if it is any good or not but I do know it is NOT Ford approved.

The last fluid change in my Ford Expedition I used AAP brand Mercon V. I have driven over 23,000 miles since that time. Shifts are as good as when the truck was new, and the fluid color and smell are the same as when I first installed it. I am very satisfied with the fluid and would use it again.

The Warren Mercon V family(SuperTech Coastal, Advance etc) are fine. If you wnated a name-brand, the Pennzoil Mercon V is a excellent product without having to go the expensive synthetie route. I'd rather use a cheaper, quality ATF fluid changed more often, than leaving a syn in for 100k miles. Just my preferance.

Mobil 1 ATF can be bought at many auto part stores....I have bought it at AutoZone.
I have seen Amsoil at Fleet Farm in Wisconsin.
You usually need to go to a racing supply shop for Redline (D4 is what to get for the Mercon V application), and as you mentioned......it is expensive.
There are other quality brands available off the shelf as well.
Valvoline and Castrol are brands that I have seen mentioned, but I do not know how good they are.
I have read good things about the Motorcraft brand of Mercon V.
If you shop Walmart, you might check what they carry as well.
Give the owner's manual for your vehicle a good read for the change interval and religiously follow it.
My Windstar call for the ATF to be changed at least every 30K miles for normal service, 21K miles for "severe" service.

I am just looking for a good brand of Mercon V......I dont know if it [AMSOIL] is any good or not but I do know it is NOT Ford approved.
If you're concerned about Ford approval, both Castrol and Valvoline state on their websites that their Mercon V products are Ford-approved. I'm sure there are others, but those 2 are available at my local VatoZone and NAPA stores for ~$4.50/qt.

*EDIT* In order to call a fluid "Mercon V" it has to be licensed by Ford. I would have to assume that they wouldn't license a product that doesn't meet spec, so I think ANY Mercon V product *should* be acceptable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back