Advance Auto house brand oil is made by Havoline

That doesn't mean it is the same. I know a number of blenders that will make dozens of formulas for different brands.

I wish we had more data about private brands. Never found a web site that had that information in a single place. Sears Spectrum (Warren Performance) is the only private brand oil whose manufacturer is on the bottle (at least that I've seen). My suspicion is that Valvoline has a big private label business. Is this Havoline Chevron, or old bottles from the Shell partnership? If the former, it's probably better than if it's the latter.

I took a look at this oil, and now believe the chances are very high that it is Chevron/Havoline at under a buck a bottle. The bottles are identical although the labels are slapped on backwords so that the spout is on the other side, the caps are identical-- the product says "compare to Havoline" in prominent script. I was told by the sales clerk that it was manufactured by Havoline--although I usually don't trust them for a lot of knowledge. Someone should do an analysis of this stuff-- at 88 cents or so retail it should be a pretty good deal.