Ads on Top

Mr. W,
I have done nothing to my laptop or smartphone. There are no ads displaying on them since the day I made a post about this. Even the ASK A MECHANIC button is gone. I'm not complaining, but have you done something to the site to remove everything?

Mr. W,
I have done nothing to my laptop or smartphone. There are no ads displaying on them since the day I made a post about this. Even the ASK A MECHANIC button is gone. I'm not complaining, but have you done something to the site to remove everything?
You must have an ad-blocker working in the background. What browser(s) are you using?

Mr. W,
Ask a Mechanic is removed. You'll need to turn your ad blocker off to see ads

Last edited:
I just opened MS Edge on my laptop, looked at BITOG and saw this ad at the bottom. You must have an ad-blocker on yours.

Capture-2.JPG

There are NO ads showing on my laptop.
What setting do you show in Privacy Settings? Also, click on the Blocked Trackers to see the list of sites blocked. Could be BITOG has so few ads that Edge is blocking them all.

Capture.JPG

That's not anywhere near "I still have to click the X to use the site".

It is.

I can't look at the Notifications or get to them.

Here it is hidden again. Look at Peacock.

I'd pay to make them go away..
Screenshot_20210115-222115_Chrome.jpg

It is.

I can't look at the Notifications or get to them.

Here it is hidden again. Look at Peacock.

I'd pay to make them go away..View attachment 40834
On my cell phone, the notification bell is below the ad banner and if I scroll the whole screen up, the ad disappears and the notification bell stays at the top (ie, it doesn't disappear). NOTE - it only does this after about 25-30 seconds after the page loads. Between 0 and 25 sec, the ad stays at the top, and the notification bell will disappear if the whole screen is scrolled up. Play around with it and see if you see the same.

When I'm doing a reply, the ad goes away, as well as the area that the notification bell is in. What phone are you using?

Last edited:
Here's a few screen shots.

Ad at top.

Screenshot_2021-01-15-20-56-47_resized.png

Scrolling the whole screen up, and the ad disappears, and the area with the notification bell stays (it "tops out" at the top of the screen). You can see the very bottom of the ad before it disappears.

Screenshot_2021-01-15-20-57-04_resized.png

Scrolling the whole screen up, and the ad disappears, and the area with the notification bell stays (it "tops out" at the top of the screen). You can see the very bottom of the ad before it disappears.

View attachment 40868
Looks different on my phone (Android/Chrome) when you start scrolling. Ad covers notification area.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210116-142201.png
    Screenshot_20210116-142201.png
    329.6 KB · Views: 6
Looks different on my phone (Android/Chrome) when you start scrolling. Ad covers notification area.
Wait 20~30 seconds, then try scrolling the screen up then. I had to wait 20~30 seconds before it behaved like I described in post #34.

I find ALL banner ads distracting due to animations. They suck at the top, too. I guess if donating didn't do it I may consider bailing. The ads are incredibly annoying and distracting no matter where they are.

Back