Adjusting a Hyundai parking brake

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Last weekend I changed the rear rotors and pads on my 2008 Elantra...they were noisy and although there was meat left on the pads, they were sticking and not doing much.

After driving the car for a few days I realized that the parking brake wasn't working so I tried to find out how to adjust it online. There is very little written about this so I want to pass on my experience.

First off, the Hyundai manual states that the parking brakes MUST be adjusted if the rotors are changed...there are little drum style pads which hold on to the inner center of the rotor.

Every source I read online mentions that the floor console must be removed (and that is a PITA).

I now see that there is a shortcut where you remove the very rear of the floor console and you can access the adjusting nut (a 12mm nut) from there without removing anything else. You can push up the floor of the rear storage bin and the 12mm nut is right below which makes it even easier (to access) than using a socket from the rear.

Loosen the adjusting nut until the levers on the rotors (which are attached to the parking brake cables) are fully down (the parking brake should be in the down (off) position) Have someone watch these levers as you tighten the adjustment nut and basically as soon as they start to move you are good (the Hyundai manual states 3mm of movement maximum). Test that the wheel spins freely when off and doesn't move when the parking brake is applied...you can tighten or loosen the adjusting nut until you are happy with the # of 'clicks' needed for the parking brake to hold.

I'm writing this to let everybody know that it's a lot easier to adjust than the manual makes it seem. Hopefully this will save you some time as it's pretty easy to do once you know how to access the adjusting nut. Good Luck..

http://www.hemanual.org/parking_brake_adjustment-1888.html

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Could you not just use the star wheel inside the drum?

Re-read his post. He's talking about rotors and brake pads on the rear of his car.
Not drums and shoes.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Re-read his post. He's talking about rotors and brake pads on the rear of his car.
Not drums and shoes.

Sometimes the "Drum in hat" parking brakes have a star wheel for adjustment.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Not drums and shoes.

Yes but, there are drum shoes under the rear rotor hats!
smile.gif

These type of Parking Brake shoes are adjusted by using the STAR Wheel slot in the rear rotors. Then, the parking brake handle at the center consol can also be adjusted(if necessary) if it pulls tooooo far.

There is typicaly a screw or nut adjustment at the parking brake handle(location is different for all cars). 6-8 clicks is about what you want for the P-brake handle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back