Adhesive tape / stickers

Folks:

I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum. I'm doing to late summer cleaning and am looking to remove adhesive clear tape from a stainless steel fridge, and some stickers that my kids have put on glass.

I started with goo-gone. It removes the adhesive well, but plastic or paper covering the adhesive prevents it from working.

Any suggestions? I was going to try a steam cleaner next to remove the outer plastic or paper. (I can't really use brake clean inside the house).

pentane is a very good adhesive remover. Typically sold on Amazon as Bestine.
It's a favorite among book sellers, to remove old stickers.

Lacquer thinner and razor blade or plastic scrapper for nearly any glass or ceramic with stickers.

WD-40, and a little elbow grease. If they're stubborn allow them to soak it up for a few hours, or overnight. Be careful with lacquer thinner, it runs like water, and it can damage plastic parts.... Which new refrigerators are full of.

I would use a heat gun on the low temp setting. Obviously stay away from plastic with it.....but it should soften the adhesive in no time that will make clean up with the above chemicals mentioned in short time. Harbor Freight has some reasonably priced models, and I guarantee that this will not be the last time you find a use for it.

Lots of ''stainless'' appliances are really coated aluminum. Test on an inconspicuous spot.
Not to mention the different grades of steel used.
I'm a retired-on site appliance tech w/46 yr.

Don't use anything too strong, some stainless fridges have a clear coat on them to protect from fingerprints. If that gets damaged it will be noticeable. If the SS is bare, just be careful of scratching the surface. I hear that new "black stainless" is particularly prone to scratching, and really visible if it happens.
Give the Goo Gone some time to work, it should do the trick.

Lots of ''stainless'' appliances are really coated aluminum. Test on an inconspicuous spot.
Not to mention the different grades of steel used.
I'm a retired-on site appliance tech w/46 yr.
Good point. I'm pretty much out on the stainless trend. Even plain old Fantastic cleaner leaves a strange residue. Next one might be black.

WD-40 works great at removing adhesive on glass and paint with zero damage. Also road tar on fenders with no damage.

Back