Additives in ethanol free fuel

In Florida, ethanol free fuel is usually sold as "boat fuel" or "Rec 90" either 90 or 91 octane. After reading this thread it almost sounds as if the ethanol free fuel I pump in my cans would probably benefit from a splash of techron to keep the deposits down.

It's sold as Rec Fuel here. Most of the carriers like Mobil, Vlaero, Sunoco, and Citgo are already Top Tier so I doubt their 90 octane fuels would be any different...

Ethonol free gas for years and tcw3 oil.

Attachments

• 20210520_155352.jpg
    20210520_155352.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 53
VALERO 90 is non E ( non E sticker below button ) and the 88 is an E5 . A SUNOCO station had non E 90 something and E5 89 . Both had E % content stickers under the octane selector . Now it's an unknown gasoline .

Last edited:
VALERO 90 is non E ( non E sticker below button ) and the 88 is an E5 . A SUNOCO station had non E 90 something and E5 89 . Both had E % content stickers under the octane selector . Now it's an unknown gasoline .
The only 88 octane gasoline I've ever seen is E15, not E5. I think you misread the label on that one.

I also don't think that E5 is marketed anywhere in the United States but only in Europe. Even there it is waning in favor of E10.

There was an E5 sticker below the SUNOCO 89 octane selection push button . Now it's a unknown gasoline brand . Keep records of all fills for gas mileage and wrote down 89 w/E5 at time of purchase . SUNOCO station had Top Tier sign at that time , not now .

Last edited:
Okay but the 88 octane is not E5.

If Sunoco is not Top Tier I wonder why it is listed on the Top Tier website?

It is , but no signs stating Top Tier are at their local stations . Only at their website .

Sunoco is back after voluntarily withdrawing last year. I don't believe they really changed anything except the licensing agreement.

However, there are ways to sell a fuel that might not be licensed. I know of a few gas stations that sell E85, and that may or may not be Top Tier. They'll generally have a note saying that one fuel or another is "unbranded" or of another brand.

Not these days. It's a specialty fuel now since the default fuel is likely to be E10. Heck - the big commodity fuel is RBOB, which is meant to produce 87 AKI after blending with 10% fuel ethanol.
There isnt only RBOB that is 85 octane. There is also CBOB At 85 octane. I don’t know the difference except that RBOB seams to be more common in tighter epa areas.

Every once in a while I add a half gallon of lacquer thinner to a full tank of gas. Really cleans things up!!!! I picked up 10% on fuel economy doing this on my old Accent with 180k miles. Was running great before hand too. Gas mileage went up 3-4 mpg.

Originally I was getting an inconsistent fuel level fault. Added the lacquer thinner and did some recklessly weaving driving to slosh the fuel around in the tank to ' clean ' the fuel sender. Which it appeared to do as the fault disappeared.

It may vary per location, but the 90 rec gasoline I haul...regardless of brand gets the same amount of detergent additive as 93E10...which is up to 4X more than regular unleaded.
that's both interesting and awesome. Wish I could know that for sure where i get my E0 gas.

And technically that makes sense with what I said in post #15.
Shell advertises a very high level of additives in their premium fuel. That's not only marketing, but perhaps required as the higher octane would be more prone to gums, varnishes, and general degredation. And presumably premium sits in the tank longer too.

that's both interesting and awesome. Wish I could know that for sure where i get my E0 gas.

And technically that makes sense with what I said in post #15.
Shell advertises a very high level of additives in their premium fuel. That's not only marketing, but perhaps required as the higher octane would be more prone to gums, varnishes, and general degredation. And presumably premium sits in the tank longer too.

That might have been the case years ago, but fuel is supposed to be much better now. I don’t believe the degradation rate is really all that different for modern fuels. Also, the use of ethanol means that the base fuel is lower octane.

Back