Additive Fallout This Morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've felt visible junk at the bottom of jugs between my fingers that didn't feel like it should go in the motor, don't care what it was, was glad I did NOT shake the bottle 1st.

Just like there are allowable ppm of rodents and cockroache in frozen pizza. The oil industry allows some [censored] in our oil, nothing is pure.

Luckily your oil is filtered before being pumped to any critical parts in the engine.

I`m with Bob. I think its sediment/debris from unclean processing. I`ve had some oils that have sat around for years that have absolutely no traces of anything at all on the bottom of the jug. I just don`t buy the theory that additives fall out of the oil. I think it`s lackluster quality control.

This subject has come up over and over. I had my own thread in 2003, and I send email to the oil companies about the bottle sediment. Only two replied to me:

This is the reply from Chevron:

"No need to shake bottle. Occasionally a small amount of calcium carbonate will precipitate from fresh oil on standing. This will not impact the oil's performance in any way. The precipitate need not be transferred with the oil, but doing so will cause no harm."

This reply is in from Shell:

"Thank you for your e-mail inquiry. The substance that appears at the bottom of the oil bottle is cause by trace amounts of moisture in the oil. Because of different temperature and humidity changes, moisture can develop in the oil and mixes with some of the detergent additive. The detergents in the oil emulsify this moisture and, if the bottle sits for a period of time, cause it to settle to the bottom. This is not unusual and will not affect the quality or performance of the oil. As soon as the engine reaches operating temperature, the moisture will evaporate through the crankcase ventilation system."

So is it moisture, impurities, or calcium carbonate? I shake the bottles (if I remember) just in case it is additive.

AD

Ya, which is it? Sounds like a straw-pull as to what it is depending on who you talk to
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Ya, which is it? Sounds like a straw-pull as to what it is depending on who you talk to
LOL.gif

My point exactly, a good shake never hurts!

AD

Originally Posted By: tig1
Thank you are having problems with your PP, I recently un corked a qt. of M1 and a iron vise fell out.

LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: ADFD1

My point exactly, a good shake never hurts!

AD

If you shake it more than once, you're playing with it.

Does this sediment happen with ATF as well?

from Blackstone labs,

"The insolubles in virgin oil are from the normal oxidation process of the oil, which leaves free carbon in suspension when oxygen forms with hydrogen (oils are hydrocarbons)."

Don't care if it's normal or not, if it feels like junk between my fingers it isn't going in the motor if I can help it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back