additive dropout

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOPUS & Mobil products have a shelf life of 60 months if unopened in the factory sealed container and kept from freezing temps. If stored sealed in freezing temps 24 months. Once opened 12 months.

I have had Valvoline-AC and PYB separate out in quart bottles in ~18 months. When I poured out the contents, the color and consistency changed at the last 10% or so. This were capped unopened quarts. Not sure what the manufactures refers to when they say shelve life. My experience is; if I can't use all the oil in a container at one time and one pour, then 12 months is the maximum time. I can manage to end-over-end a gallon container so that allows me the remix all the ingredients so 24 months is no issue. Bigger than a gallon is a problem and I would never consider a 30 or 55 gallon barrel if not used within 12-15 months. If the mix sets too long then the firsts gets maybe 1/2 the additives and the last 2X times the additives and neither is any good. JM Observations. Ed

This is a somewhat interesting question. I've seen incredible amounts of separation within months in old API SH 5W-30 Pennzoil. Admittedly, it scared me away from using it at the time. Now, if I saw that in an API SM oil, I'd probably just shake it up and use it.

In fact, now I shake all oils that are in opaque containers before using them.

Interestingly, the clear-bottle Quaker State oils that I have used have never had any separation or sedimentation. I wonder if the clear bottle forces them to avoid using certain additives that they would otherwise use.

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
This is a somewhat interesting question. I've seen incredible amounts of separation within months in old API SH 5W-30 Pennzoil. Admittedly, it scared me away from using it at the time. Now, if I saw that in an API SM oil, I'd probably just shake it up and use it.

In fact, now I shake all oils that are in opaque containers before using them.

Interestingly, the clear-bottle Quaker State oils that I have used have never had any separation or sedimentation. I wonder if the clear bottle forces them to avoid using certain additives that they would otherwise use.

From the VOAs I have seen of the Quaker State synthetics they use the same addtives as other companies do, pretty similar to Pennzoil.

Originally Posted By: PT1
SOPUS & Mobil products have a shelf life of 60 months if unopened in the factory sealed container and kept from freezing temps. If stored sealed in freezing temps 24 months. Once opened 12 months.

I have never heard this before. Do you have s source for this info?

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Originally Posted By: PT1

I have never heard this before. Do you have s source for this info?

Sure, send them both an email. Shell & Mobil tech support both told me this about a year ago. "shelf life" was the amount of time additives would stay in suspension according to them. Remember: This is from date of manufacture. The PP I bought at AAP in 2007 on the bogo was dated 08/2006. It is giving stellar UOA's in my Lexus. But I do shake all the bottles before I use them and there is a very small amount of shading on the inside of some of the bottles. But it is working for me just fine.

Last edited:
I always shake my bottles very well and beat onthe bottom upside down just in case. I have seen lots of additives seperate out of bottlesand sit on the bottom. As long as they get intot he engine they will remix under normal use but you have to get it out of the bottle to begine with hence the shaking and such!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back