Adding too much lead additive = lose power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

I've been lurking for quite a while here
35.gif

This is something I've been thinking about for a while now, because I always find it hard adding an exact amount of lead replacement additive, and my (younger) self used to add a little extra because ' a little extra wont hurt, right?'.

But now I've been thinking about this. Afaik lead replacement addtives will, like TEL, increase the octane rating of fuel, right? ( most additives over here, like castrol valvemaster, will advertise with 'higher octane' too).
Anyways, I've been thinking that using a super high octane fuel would also lenghten the burn time, to the point that it burns too slow to make power.

I found a graph about this on the internet : https://www.team-integra.net/forum/14-performance/30351-too-high-octane-killed-power-dyno-plot.html
Following this, if lead additive increases octane, it will (if overdosed) also decrease power?

What are your thoughts?

None is better IMHO because of deposits. There is a quart can of 104 lead on the shelf thats been there for 30+ years. Unless a particular engine calls for it why bother?

What is your actual lead additive? They're all different. I'm thinking MMT.

As far as actual lead went, if you mixed 89 leaded and 89 unleaded, you got something more than 89. The first little bit of lead has the most positive impact.

Not really the point I'm trying to make.
Just wondering if overdosing would lose power ( aka, if my 'logic' applies or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back