adding teen with driving permit to insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter turned 16 recently, has a driving permit and has been driving some with my supervision. She is doing fine, as my AT Corolla is very easy to drive. I just realized that I did not call the insurance (Allstate) about it yet. What is the best way of handling this without being buried under a huge insurance premium increase (my 6 months policy expires in August).

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
My daughter turned 16 recently, has a driving permit and has been driving some with my supervision. She is doing fine, as my AT Corolla is very easy to drive. I just realized that I did not call the insurance (Allstate) about it yet. What is the best way of handling this without being buried under a huge insurance premium increase (my 6 months policy expires in August).

Thanks!

LOL.gif
grin2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Carry on. Sorry. I am making my 16 YO daughter pay THAT bill.

Now is the time to do some shopping around. Insurance companies are uncharacteristic nice in these troubled times. I just got a $50 drop to $242 every six months. That a good discount IMO. The next drop is coming soon as I turn 55 during the next policy period. Just get prepared for the big Cha-Ching and its a outgoing one unfortunantly.

I don't know about Allstate, but I had the same trepidation when my daughter started drving on a permit. Called my Farmer's agent I've been with since I was kid (many, many decades ago!) and to my pleasant surprise, there was no added cost to the premiums for a teen driver under a permit. However, the cost of the premiums nearly 3x when she got her license. On the upside, Farmers offered a "good student" discount which amounted to more than $200 and another for taking their DVD course and test. If you don't get the answer you like from your Allstate agent, check around. Even though I've been with the same agent and company forever, I do believe it pays to shop around -- I just happen to like the guy.

Last edited:
^ that happened to me too. No surcharge as I was technically on my parents' license when they rode shotgun.

Probably varies from state to state. Definitely ask.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
[/quote]

LOL.gif
grin2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Carry on. Sorry. I am making my 16 YO daughter pay THAT bill.

she's not a princess?
grin2.gif

I would say nothing to the insurance company.The car is insured, not the driver.It does not matter who is driving the car.God forbid she ever gets in an accident, the car and her is covered.say nothing to the insurance company until you get caught.My wife works for a major auto insurance company and she said this is the way around it.

It can vary from state to state, but I do think anything happens while she's on her permit. Every policy I have states "no uninsured drivers in household". Even if your kid is at college, you have to carry them on your policy or they have to turn in their license. A license doesn't really mean much in most states now ..beyond authorizing you to be insured as a driver. Without insurance, it's a photo identification card.

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
I would say nothing to the insurance company.The car is insured, not the driver.It does not matter who is driving the car.God forbid she ever gets in an accident, the car and her is covered.say nothing to the insurance company until you get caught.My wife works for a major auto insurance company and she said this is the way around it.

I wouldn't do this ^^^

the driver is what causes the car to get smashed.... i think the insurance company would want to know...

at the very least call up.

And if the 16 year old would be in a wreck, had no insurance and you got sued, you could lose everything in a lawsuit, correct? I would imagine that this is the time where your wife's employer might turn it's back to the family of this uninsured driver.

This must be different in some states. If the car is what is insured, then Kruse the 16 y/o doesn't have to be insured - just the car. This doesn't sound correct though. However, will the insurance company allow one error like this & then make the replacement vehicle go under the teen that was involved in the wreck?

In WA state that is terrible advice.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

In WA state that is terrible advise.

This is the way it works in MI. As long as you have in insurance, anyone who drives your car is insured. If it is the same way in your state let them find out your daughter has a drivers license.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
It can vary from state to state, but I do think anything happens while she's on her permit. Every policy I have states "no uninsured drivers in household". Even if your kid is at college, you have to carry them on your policy or they have to turn in their license. A license doesn't really mean much in most states now ..beyond authorizing you to be insured as a driver. Without insurance, it's a photo identification card.

As a kid, my dad turned my driving privleges on and off like a light switch with the insurance company. IIRC, the only penalty, albeit a big one, is if you don't declare your teen and they get in a wreck, the insurance won't pay.

If your kid has a license, you don't let them drive, you don't pay to insure them, and you yourself get in a wreck, you're likely ok. The policy spells this stuff out in great detail. My policy says "Maine" right on the cover, so they vary through each state.

It's kind of a sham when they query "what licensed drivers are in your household" instead of "who are you going to let drive your car"... obviously results in more revenue for them!

Thanks everyone for the input. I always thought insurance was per car and not per driver. Although it probably varies by state. Once my wife was hit (and car totaled) by a person from Louisiana and that person was not allowed on their car insurance, so it was covered by our uninsured driver policy. I thought it was weird at that time.

I guess I need to read the fine print and make some phone calls.

So, the consensus is that premium goes up when teen gets a full license but not permit, right?

That's the way it worked here. No changes until she got the license. State Farm has all kinds of ways to get the junior driver substantial discounts. Check and see if your insurance company does too. With Geico and Progressive (Flo) ..I've seen routine reductions in my premium. I think that they're all very competitive now.

In TN, it does matter who drives the car. I know with one insurance company based in TN, you are denied if your not on the policy. They have exclusions for car accidents where your car is stolen, etc. You ever see those police videos on tv where a car thief just wrecked a stolen car into five other vehicles? Those 5 other vehicles better have full coverage or uninsured motorist coverage.
grin2.gif

My policy only voids coverage if I allow it to be operated in a serious law-breaking manner, IIRC, felony stuff.

The car is insured, and anyone who drives it is insured.

I would wait until they find out.

In the mean time, start telling the kid to shop for her own policy, and make her pay for it.

When I was 17 I was paying 200 dollars per month to drive a 500 dollar car around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back