Adding items to oil that is going to the recycler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a can of paint stripper leak on part of my oil stash and a few bottles of oil are nasty with paint remover. Also have a few old items like denatured alcohol, tung oil, charcoal starting fluid, etc, I need to get out the garage.

Can everything be added to oil that is going to the recycler?

thanks

Originally Posted By: Bullet
Had a can of paint stripper leak on part of my oil stash and a few bottles of oil are nasty with paint remover. Also have a few old items like denatured alcohol, tung oil, charcoal starting fluid, etc, I need to get out the garage.

Can everything be added to oil that is going to the recycler?

thanks

NO! Oil only.

ONLY OIL. Other stuff like paint thiner, turpentine and ATF, will contaminate the recycle process and the place with the contaminated oil will be stuck with it. Ed

Uhh.
I've put all kinds of things to give to the recyclers.

Old Turpentine, Denturated alcohol, Kerosene, a few gallons of Tiki Torch Lamp fluid the previous owner of this house left behind. I've held on to all the charcoal and starter fluid, just in case I ever get or need to have a charcoal fire.

They make all kinds of stuff, including bunker fuel, and I'm sure they can refine it all out one way or another.

However, I've never heard anything otherwise.

Anyone have any documentation on this?

I've poured 5gal of used oil with probably 2 gallons of coolant in a oil recycling place back in 2009 before I knew any better lmao.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
I've seen ATF, Gear oil, PSF acceptable in used motor oil. I guess it might vary from center to center.

I mix those if Im doing multiple jobs at once, but everything else gets its own container. We have a municipal colection point so dropping off everything is no problem. But I hate the idea of mixing different waste streams.

I was told Gear Oil...Power Steering Fluid...Brake Fluid..Transmission Fluid are all acceptable to mix with Motor Oil. Just no Gasoline or Anti-Freeze.

Not brake fluid.
It's glycol, just like coolant.
Any petroleum based product should be okay, although I'd personally mix those that burn well with gasoline to run in the OPEs. Leftover alcohol could be mixed with windshield washer fluid for winter.

I put everything in my used oil containers. Ive even gotten rid of deep fat fryer oil that way.

Back when I worked at the TLE, me and a friend talked with the guy who comes and picks up the used oil. We asked him how often it was contaminated. He said always. He said a lot of shops dump their mop water and anything else they need to get rid of in the tanks.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
ONLY OIL. Other stuff like paint thiner, turpentine and ATF, will contaminate the recycle process and the place with the contaminated oil will be stuck with it. Ed

Please do not do this. When this gets detected they have to spend big bucks to remediate it. Then your local autozone gives you a hard time when you want to dump your oil at their place --demanding receipts that you bought the oil there and what not--its about like spray painting someone's place of business, only more expensive.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer

Please do not do this. When this gets detected they have to spend big bucks to remediate it. Then your local autozone gives you a hard time when you want to dump your oil at their place --demanding receipts that you bought the oil there and what not--its about like spray painting someone's place of business, only more expensive.

Great post. One of the benefits of recycling oil it is easy to do. No need to make it harder for yourself or anyone else.

Petroleum products are okay, other stuff isn't.

Check with your county about household hazardous waste collection days. My county takes appointments for homeowners to drop off their household hazardous waste, such as those sorts of chemicals.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Petroleum products are okay, other stuff isn't.

Check with your county about household hazardous waste collection days. My county takes appointments for homeowners to drop off their household hazardous waste, such as those sorts of chemicals.

Locally here, they want the stuff in the original containers.
It was in bold letters on the flyer.
Heres a good one. You buy a gallon of antifreeze and get two gallons of waste coolant. More if you flush. What to do with the rest that does not fit in the container you bought?
A quart in this jug, a quart in that jug.... Oops, its all gone.
Wonder where it went?

So the generally "sealed" drain pan that I use for ATF must be cleaned thoroughly before I can use it for motor oil?

I don't think so.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Old Turpentine, Denturated alcohol, Kerosene, a few gallons of Tiki Torch Lamp fluid

Now we know why the Noack was so high on the NextGen. It was the Tiki lamp fluid that done it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back