Adding atf to 01 Odyssey>

My friend was over last night and of course like the rest of us here we can't wait to lift the hood and check the fluids of our friends' vehicles:D Her atf was barely on the tip of the dipstick. But it was still bright pink, clear,and smelled like new atf. I told her to let me top it off asap so she doesn't burn it up.

Can I use Castrol Import Vehicle,or does that transmission require Honda DW1?

My friend was over last night and of course like the rest of us here we can't wait to lift the hood and check the fluids of our friends' vehicles:D Her atf was barely on the tip of the dipstick. But it was still bright pink, clear,and smelled like new atf. I told her to let me top it off asap so she doesn't burn it up.

I wouldn't mix ATF, but that's just me.

You can use Castrol Import with no problem. I like Castrol's full synthetic ATF, and the popular Maxlife is also good.

And of course, was the transmission fully warmed up? :p

Reactions: JC1
Hondas prefer Honda only fluid. For top off it should be alright. If the tranny fluid is low there must be a leak and should get it looked at.

Probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Those era Honda transmissions, especially the 4 speed model used in 99-01 are a major sore spot and the failures don't show any signs of being lubricant related.

The 5 speed in my '04 Odyssey, also known for being made of glass, lasted 210k and was working fine when I sold it. I used nothing but Amalie Universal Synthetic ATF the entire time I owned it. So in my own experience, OEM Honda DW-1 isn't essential. That said, I would use an ATF whose viscosity matches DW-1 closely-- most any universal fluid that specs Dex VI or preferably DW-1 should be a close match.

Castrol Import is not a low viscosity fluid despite them claiming DW-1 compatibility. DW-1 is closer to what is considered a LV fluid, like Dex VI. If I'm not mistaken the 4 speeds used Z-1 fluid originally, whose viscosity was somewhere in middle.

Last edited:
Honda, unlike most others, requires the vehicle to be off for ATF level check.

It required Z1 with DexronIII for emergency use. Z1 replaced with LV DW1

So, you can top off with ANY import or universal multivehicle ATF, or a bottle of Lubegard Red/Platinum. Yes, if it requires a pint or less for top off, I use a snake oil and not worry about the OE requirements or flushing it out later.

Probably tell the friend to get a drain/refill

Nov 2018 I took the plunge and did three drain and fills in my 05 with Maxlife ATF (9+ quarts). 2 years later did a single drain and fill. To this day it's still shifting great and I will continue to use Maxlife.

Castrol Import is not a low viscosity fluid despite them claiming DW-1 compatibility. DW-1 is closer to what is considered a LV fluid, like Dex VI. If I'm not mistaken the 4 speeds used Z-1 fluid originally, whose viscosity was somewhere in middle.

DW1 and Z1 are roughly the same viscosity. The DW1 was 'invented' to address the poor long-term performance of Z1 by using newer/better base stocks. The additive packages are largely the same as is the viscosity.

Honda ATF's have been discussed at great lengths in a few threads here.

There's a good place to start.

Back