adding a remote engine oil filter to filter atf...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did it on a 91 Camry. It was a tight fit. You can use a smaller oil filter that fits the remote adapter if that helps.

Cheapest mount I've found is a hydraulic mount from Northerntool.com The filters will be (typically) FL1A/PH8a size and will probably be more expensive. The usual remote mount Permacool has a choke point with Jeg's or Summit. J.C.Whitney might be the cheapest. Adapt down to 5/16 hose (or whatever size you have) with some reducer bushings and a couple of hose barbs ..clamps ..slap a Ph3614 or whatever size 3/4-16 thread filter on it .. ..viola~

You also might consider the Spectre 5971 remote oil change kit from Amazon.com ..right now it's a pretty good deal. Plenty of useful parts. The 12v electric pump works great for extracting or infusing fluids into rears and transmissions ..etc..

That would be affirmative. Any oil filter will be a better setup than what you have, and will do fine. I'm sure you know...Oil filters are not created equally. Get the best beta ratio filter that will fit in the space you have available.

I have a Permacool on my 07 Silverado. There was a lot of room to work with so installation was really easy. I use a Napa gold PH8A size filter which gets changed once a year. The truck has a trans temp gauge and since the remote filter went in the fluid temp has gone down 5F to 10F.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
So, any engine oil filter can be used with no worries then?

You will do better with a hydraulic filter element or transmission element. Find an auto parts store where you can look into their big filter catalog from WIX or Baldwin (or NAPA). Look for the physical dimensions you need...length, diameter of the gasket, thread diameter & pitch, and then look at the type of filter. You'll see some listed for engine oil only, or combination engine or transmission, or hydraulic. Pick the best one for your needs.

I agree, a Magnefine or SPXFiltran in-line filter will work great. A full sized spin on filter will be lifetime.

I would love to put a remote transmission filter on my car. I'm just so reluctant to have a fluid line cut. Is that always required or are some (inline or remote) filters available that don't need cutting to be installed?

After tees, clamps, elbows, filter mount and filter I spent about $60 on a coolant filter setup. I suspect it would be about the same for the spin on trans filter.

I could not find room in the engine compartment of my 97 Avalon for a spin on tranny filter anywhere near the tranny. I put on a Magnefine in about 10 minutes and $25.00.

I think it depends on how much time you have and how important a spin on filter is to you vs. a Magnefine.

Some transmissions have spin-on oil filters... I would look up one for this type of vehicle and use it instead. It probably has different flow / allowable pressure requirements.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
I would love to put a remote transmission filter on my car. I'm just so reluctant to have a fluid line cut. Is that always required or are some (inline or remote) filters available that don't need cutting to be installed?

If you have a rubber line connecting the transmission to the cooler you just cut 4 or so inches out of it and install an inline filter. If you decide you hate it, then just buy a foot or two of ATF cooler line at any auto parts store and replace the cut out line.

once again,
So, any engine oil filter can be used with no worries then?

Yes, imo. If you followed the link to the deluxe remote kit ..adn ran the filter number through WIX ..you found out that they're selling you a 51085 3/4-16 thread filter for $14.xx+

Hydraulic filters can and will be finer (on average), that's because they don't have to cope with combustion byproducts.

A magnefine is a great little filter.

what would be the filter change intervals for a spin-on?

I have a Perma-Cool on my 03 Escape. I use the Pure One equivalent to a Motorcraft FL-300 (shorter FL-1A) on it and I changed it at 30,000 miles when I changed the trans fluid. I plan to repeat at 60,000 miles and every 30,000 miles after.

I installed a Bypass on my camry. EaBP90 fits on the inside of the drivers side fender well behind the headlight assembly. Granted mine is a 2006 but there is room. I wanted something better than a magnefine. Couldn't be happier!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Some transmissions have spin-on oil filters... I would look up one for this type of vehicle and use it instead. It probably has different flow / allowable pressure requirements.
thumbsup2.gif

Saturn uses them n some or all models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back