Adding a fobik (remote) to a 2011 Town and Country - ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to add a brand new fob to a 2011 Town and Country. This van does not have the proximity system (Enter-N-Go) or the push to start button. It uses the 7 button remote, and does have remote start from the fob.

I do have both original remotes and they both work.

I've read that it is possible to program an additional remote on my own, and I've read that it isn't possible to program an additional remote without outside help. Of course, I'm confused about this.

Also, is an aftermarket (non-OEM) remote a bad idea here, such as this one... since the remote also acts as the ignition key? I'd hate to have a non-OEM remote fail, and leave someone stranded.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CA5PJ5O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A392A0WD8JJN37&psc=1

Or....should I stay with an OEM remote and pay the additional cost?

Why am I wanting to do this? Last summer, the van remote started itself. It was inside an enclosed garage, attached to the house. It hadn't been used that day at all. One remote was laying on top of the center console, and the other remote was inside a desk drawer, inside the house.

When it was discovered... it was locked up, running, and the remote was laying on top of the center console. The remote starting function locks the doors, and we wouldn't lock the doors with the keyfob inside the van, nor would we ever lock it up when it is inside the garage.

There is a switch on the hood, that disables the remote start when the hood is up. So, I unplugged the switch to disable the remote start. The remote start is disabled now, as it thinks the hood is up.

So, because it remote started itself... I'd like to buy a new remote, program it, and then take the batteries out of the two factory remotes, and tuck them away.

unless things changed between 2005 & 2011, with Chrysler products, if you have 2 working (keys/remotes/fobiks/etc) you can program additionals your self.

if you have fewer than 2, you have to visit either the dealer, or a locksmith(some have the proper equipment)

if you have both sets, check your owners manual... the instructions may be in there...( i know my Ford product has programming instructions in the manual... I don't remember if the neon did)

i wish i had made some additionals for my old neon.. when i sold it to my buddy's mom, it had 2 keys, and 2 remotes*
within a year her younger son had lost both remotes and one of the keys.- he did the same for her aztek.

*(one set had only been used a hand full of times.- my brother was the original owner. he only used the one set, and the other sat in a mug in his house. when i bought the car, I used the same one he did, and put the second with my spare keys)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back