Adding a 2nd battery considerations

Finally got around to this and added a 2nd battery. Identical to the one already in the truck. My main battery is a NAPA Legend 690CCA group 78 from 3/2023 and this one is from 9/2023. Not that much older/newer for me to be concerned.

Bought the tray, wiring and terminal ends and made my own cables. Terminated the ground at the passenger head in one of the M10 accessory holes. Hot goes to the (+)Positive block near the power steering pump.

All went well, cranks a little quicker and nothing out of the ordinary.

Attachments

• IMG_2596.jpeg
    IMG_2596.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2597.jpeg
    IMG_2597.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2595.jpeg
    IMG_2595.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2594.jpeg
    IMG_2594.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 18
Nicely done @redhat. in mine I’ve been using the largest sizes I can fit, for years. I do a lot of in-car study, or phone calls, or naps if needed. The extra juice is nice. I installed a shallow-depth volt gauge in the headliner over the mirror, and there’s PV power on the camper shell, mostly because I know the oem charge strategy won’t top off the battery. It starts quickly, every time, and if I spend 4 hours listening to study material through the head unit while typing away, I don’t worry about it.

2002 silverado 2500hd(excuse the dirty engine bay it’s a daily that sees oilfield work here and there. 2 diehard platinum group 34’s. granted i have a 300ish amp alternator, the truck has had dual batteries since before i changed the OE 105amp model. i only did it for power draw from my 3k inverter, KL5 escalade E fans, and sound system. side note, get rid of those side terminal batteries and go with top posts. gm vehicles specifying group 78’s can be swapped to group 34’s. same case and hold down, just top post instead. used military style connectors, 1/0 welding lead with wide pad tinned lugs and a hammer crimper
IMG_3925.jpeg

Back