Adding 20W50 Mobil 1 V-TWIN for top off.

Friend stopped over on this beautiful day here in Berks County Pennsylvania. Pulled into the driveway with his 2004 Galant 2.4L tapping away. I asked when was the last time he checked his oil -- "last month sometime" was his reply. Let it sit a good hour while drinking acouple cups of coffee. Popped the hood -- checked the dipstick -- nothing on it. All I had on hand at the moment besides my PPPP 5W20 was 2 quarts of Mobil 1 20W50 V-TWIN that I use in my 2008 HD Road King Classic. One and a half quarts later -- full on dipstick. Told him its gonna be getting hot out soon and he will be fine for now. What are your opinions on using V-TWIN? His Galant has alittle over 180,xxx miles on it.

Dale
P.s. Hope everyone is having a nice day!!!

Originally Posted by Fattylocks
Did it stop tapping?
If it quieted down ya done good.

Yeah, we took it for a ride to get a six pack of Victory beer since he demanded he owed me that for the oil. Nice and quiet it was!!! I told him he needs to start checking his oil more frequently though.

I love Berks County.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by buster
I love Berks County.
thumbsup2.gif

Me too....I also love 'Victory beer'...I think the one I've had was called 'Golden Monkey' or 'something Monkey'....IIRC it was 9% ABV...and
yes, any oil is better than low/no oil.

Originally Posted by pbm
I love Berks County.
thumbsup2.gif

Me too....I also love 'Victory beer'...I think the one I've had was called 'Golden Monkey' or 'something Monkey'....IIRC it was 9% ABV...and

I've that one. It is good!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by pbm
I love Berks County.
thumbsup2.gif

That would have been Golden Monkey -- my GF luvs that. Myself, I prefer the Storm King -- its a dark beer though but sooo good. My second favorite is Hop Devil from Victory. Yeah, this County is a great place to live -- hence me buying a house here.

The first number being 20 means it should flow like a 20 when cold, so that should be fine especially considering it is not winter. Now if it were to get down below 20 F then that would be a different story.

I salute you for being an automotive good Samaritan.

I try to keep some Mobil 1 0w-40 and dino 5w-30 in my garage for this kind of thing, along with the 15w-40 for my old Benz and 0w-20 for my Honda. That's a good enough supply to deal with an emergency oil service for most vehicles.

I've done enough of these courtesy inspections by now to pretty much expect that dipstick to read at least a quart low.

Viscosity is irrelevant at this point in PA. Any oil is better than no oil.
All my friends are motorheads, so If they came over and his car was ticking because of no oil on the stick, I would call him a dummy.

I'm surprised his car has 180K on it. If I saved his engine, he'd owe me a keg.

There's a pretty much underground Lotus presence in Berks, Bucks, and Lehigh Counties in PA, with some pre-GM owners using 20w-50 depending on model.

While some owners seem to gravitate to the Valvoline Racing Oils, or "Euro" oils, I actually use the M1 V-Twin full synthetic. So, there are a few "heavyweight" oil users scattered about the region, too.

I also have ST HD 15w-40 (Conventional) in my ‘72 Grand Prix with an AC Delco PF-24.

Back