Adding 1 QT PZ Ultra as a cleaner....Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen, I was wondering if adding 1/2 a quart or a whole quart of a "cleaning" oil such as Pennzoil Ultra to the sump would do any good as far as cleaning goes?

Your first question is probably going to be, why not fill the sump with PU, but that's not what I am trying to do. So is it worth while or a waste of good oil?

Thanks guys!

No it wouldn't do that much, the whole cleaning thing is a huge marketing ploy they are using, but it does clean more than the average oil though.

If you are really interested in the cleaning properties, go with a full fill of ultra, adding one quart will not make a noticeable difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Well that's where I got the idea... if people are filling 10-20% of their sump with MMO, why not try an actual motor oil?

Drop in the bucket. Negligible impact. Even running a full load of synthetic might take one or two OCIs to really clean things out.

run a full sump of it and it might do you some good. my dad broke into my stash to do an oil change on my mother's car. he mentions a few weeks later that the dipstick was noticeably cleaner than before. this was not ultra but another high quality synthetic

Unless you have a specific need, don't add cleaners.
Even my friend MMO [which is great in gas] is not recommended in the oil unless there is a problem.
A 1/2 qt or qt of a marginally better cleaning oil won't do jack squat.

Last edited:
Follow a halfway decent maintenance routine and your engine will be in great shape for years to come. No need to waste oil like that.

Last edited:
IMO...You could run a 50/50 or a 60/40 mixed blend of PYB and Ultra. Both SOPUS oils have great cleaners and anti-wear additives in their add pack.

IMO....I would run this for 3 or 4 OCIs and see if there is a noticeable difference. If there is a positive cleaning action....then you have found your blend to use in your vehicle.

IMO....The 50/50, 60/40 blended mix would be a better initial approach, rather than starting with MMO, Kreen or any other cleaners.

Last edited:
There are some people seem to like Valvoline WB or Valvoline SynPower for it's engine cleaning abilities. They claim that Valvoline has the best "Organic" cleaners and anti-wear additive that don't show up on VOAs. The UOAs are usually pretty impressive with these oils. So this is another oil family you could try, when you find it on clearance or on sale.

IMO....You could try the same approach with these two oils in a blended mix for 3 or 4 OCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back