Add A Lift To A Garage

Bought another house last week. Probably last one. Has a very spacious 2.5 car garage. So what's the gouge on installing an electric lift in a private garage? Always wanted one so I don't have to shuttle around on my back on a creeper.

1631995678576.jpeg

More importantly, is the garage floor thick enough to support a hoist.
I think I've seen cases where a pedestal is added. I don't know if they cut out a rectangle, dig deeper, and re-pour so it's thick enough and/or level with the existing floor or make it higher. Not sure if pouring a pedestal on top of existing floor is structurally sufficient (??).

Most require >= 4-1/4" concrete of sufficient (thicker if higher capacity). Some require 3000 psi compression strength. Some require more. Some require rebar, some don't require any steel in the concrete.

A lot depends on the make/model of the lift.

I think I've seen cases where a pedestal is added. I don't know if they cut out a rectangle, dig deeper, and re-pour so it's thick enough and/or level with the existing floor or make it higher. Not sure if pouring a pedestal on top of existing floor is structurally sufficient (??).
My sisters garage has pedestals that were poured when the floor was poured. They go down several feet.

the issues will be Ceiling height 12ft or more recommended for many, and various potentials with the Flooring/slab.
a 2 post lift itself is easily attainable for ≤$3k looks like that price is a little dated... now (bendpak at least) most starting around $5k...
those are neat. "starting @ $5,505"; they also make a Flush mount version(cut holes in the slab, lift surface sits flush with the floor, and actually a little cheaper than the non flush mount "starting @$5,415" almost the same model number even, just add an F at the end.

A 2 post relies on the floor to hold up the weight. Some 4 post drive on lifts just sits on the floor w/ o needing support. I would look into a 4 post with jacks to lift the car up by the frame or axles.

A 2 post relies on the floor to hold up the weight. Some 4 post drive on lifts just sits on the floor w/ o needing support. I would look into a 4 post with jacks to lift the car up by the frame or axles.

They both rely on the floor to support the weight, just that a 4 post splits it over 4 contact points and there's no lateral support necessary. With a 4 post, the weight is completely vertical. With a 2 post, the load may be unbalanced, so there's some lateral load (and more of it, the higher you go) - which is why concrete specs and anchor installation is so important with a 2 post lift.

I have both a 2 post and 4 post lift in my personal garage. Both have their place (strengths and weaknesses).

Most Challenger Lift's require 4" thick, Reinforced, 3,500 psi Plus rated concrete. I personally like 6 inches for 2 post duty......But I raise 3/4 ton trucks on my 2 post lifts.

Judging from the vehicles in your sig.....A low ceiling height 2 post lift on 4" reinforced concrete would work, The only drawback is that the Equalization Cables & Hydraulic Hoses pass from post to post on the floor & gets covered with a steel plate. I personally hate this style because I pull a lot of RWD transmissions & that plate is dead in the way of the transmission jack.

Rolling Runway jacks for 4 post lifts are pretty expensive given how much a home owner will use it....And you need 2 of them to raise all 4 wheels. My ONE 7,500# rated rolling runway jack was $2,500.
Edit.....A 4,500# Manual Pump rolling jack runs $1,300, This is for a Challenger CL4P9S 4-post lifts which runs $4,800.

So $1,300 x 2, $4,800 for the lift, Installation/Anchoring/leveling will run @ $1,500, Let's say a 30amp service to it will run another $1,000......Call it 10 grand.

A Challenger CLFP9, Low ceiling height 2-post will run @ $4,700 plus @ $850 for installation, Still needs a 30amp service. Call it $6,550.

I ran the electrical for my 2-post lifts myself.....My 4-post was out of my skillset as it need a lot of conduit ran & fish taped, I traded about $2,000 in work to get it done.

The vendor I like to use is a Challenger dealer, BendPak & Rotary are also great names in the business.....Unfortunately their local dealers didn't have time for me.

One of my 2-post lifts is a used 10,000# Rotary that I got Bought & Installed for $1,800, That was mid-2019 before everything got stupid.

Back