ADBV on Fram PH9837?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just looked through 4 boxes of these, and they all had what looked like white ADBV's. I figure since they all look like that, it should be ok to get one.

I get it home and try to flex it using a pen and a flat head screwdriver, all it does is make permanent indentations in it. I'm thinking this has to be the endcap for the filter, and that they did not put an ADBV on these at all?

I guess there is a narrow edge that I can't see through the holes, where the oil flows around this and through the filter?

]noadbv[/url]

You are correct, this model has no ADBV. Fram's website also indicates that it is not equipped with a bypass valve.

Thanks for that link. Man, I can't believe they don't put one on that model filter! All other brand filters I've used over the years for this car have an ADBV on them.

It does sit upside down, but at a slight angle. I imagine without an ADBV some amount of oil has to come out of it... The more I think about it, I'm just going to return it.

The PH/TG9837 with no adbv has been discussed before. I was interested in 9837 application as other manufacturers combine other years applications and use an adbv for all. And it appears the equivalent ACDelco PF61 uses one now too. An shown in the link below the PH/TG3675 has an adbv and is otherwise the same. If sticking with a Fram/orange can, that would be my choice.

Below is the link to my previous post on the topic with a further explanation. As said in link, while no adbv may be spec having one hurts nothing.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._mi#Post3141456

Somone should run this filter in a non spec'd vehicle on a nice frigid morning with 20w50.
smile.gif

Post a video of the results.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
So that's gotta be for one of the gm engines with the bypass internal to the engine itself.

Yup, it has the internal bypass. None of the filters available for it have a built in bypass valve.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
The PH/TG9837 with no adbv has been discussed before. I was interested in 9837 application as other manufacturers combine other years applications and use an adbv for all. And it appears the equivalent ACDelco PF61 uses one now too. An shown in the link below the PH/TG3675 has an adbv and is otherwise the same. If sticking with a Fram/orange can, that would be my choice.

Below is the link to my previous post on the topic with a further explanation. As said in link, while no adbv may be spec having one hurts nothing.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._mi#Post3141456

Interesting... It's a shame that the only thing available in the store I frequent is an ecore acdelco. I don't trust the ecore design. I used purolators for the most part in the past, but since all the documented media tears, they have lost my business.

As noted in the link there's always the Wix 51522 or Napa Gold 1522. And in Fram the 3675 is the same filter but with an adbv. And yes these GM's have a block bypass, no filter integral bypass needed/spec'd.

Yea on our old 2007 Trail Blazer with Iline 6
there was no ADBV on FRAM oil filter or AC Delco Oil Filter.

However the filter not on any angle. It was perfect flat.. So I guess you dont need a ADBV

When I made my post a guy made a drawing to explain why on certain cars you do not need a ADBV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back