ADBV inlet and outlet!?!?

ok, so i was reading something and this guy says ""Changing the filter in my car to a version with both inlet and outlet anti drain valves made a difference on cold starts after sitting for 2 days, no light tapping for the second after starting."" is this a thing?! i know that some oil filters have an ADBV, and i guess i just assumed it was on one side only, and now that this guy said it this way i'm just NOW realizing that if they have an ADBV, then just naturally means it's always both inlet and outlet. anyone wanna clarify?

he also said ""Went from a Z88 to a Z157, otherwise identical filters.""

i tried googling z157, and well it wasn't as clear cut to find that filter. i dont know what brand that would be or if anyone makes that size.

thanks

You did not mention what vehicle you have. I never heard of such claims. The ADBV is just a nitrile or silcone flap, just one and can be seen through the multiple inlet holes.In some apps.there may not be a ADBV in the filter if the filter is positioned in such a way that drain back is not an issue. If you still have doubts, go with an OEM filter.

Last edited:
I've never seen or heard of a filter with two ADBVs. That seems like a redundancy that would cut into profits. Maybe the poster was mistakenly referring to a filter with a bypass valve and an ADBV?

I found a Mopar cross-reference for the numbers you gave. Z88 is a "Coopers" filter and Z157 is a "GUD" filter. Both cross to Mopar 1AMFL00033. A photo of the Mopar filter does not show an ADBV on the open end.

Originally Posted by DirtyOilGuy
ok, so i was reading something and this guy says ""Changing the filter in my car to a version with both inlet and outlet anti drain valves made a difference on cold starts after sitting for 2 days, no light tapping for the second after starting."" is this a thing?! i know that some oil filters have an ADBV, and i guess i just assumed it was on one side only, and now that this guy said it this way i'm just NOW realizing that if they have an ADBV, then just naturally means it's always both inlet and outlet. anyone wanna clarify?

He's talking about filters with an "anti-siphon" valve in the center tube, which is essentially a second ADBV. There have been a few posted here in the past, but they are rarely seen.

Back