AdBlue pricing...

That's a very reasonable price from VW. I would guess that the Mercedes would use the exact same 32.5% urea solution. The Touareg holds about 4.5 gallons of solution and that'll last the average driver nearly a year. I'd probably spend more money on windshield washer solution than I would AdBlue. This whole diesel treatment chemistry is very fascinating to me. My Jetta doesn't require a additive but I wonder if possibly 10 years from now will I receive a anonymous package from UPS containing 10 years worth of diesel soot that has been mysteriously stored for me someplace in area 51, Nevada.

I think VW, MB and BMW all are the 32.5% UREA solution. It seems like that's the industry standard, thankfully. Pilot Travel Centers are starting to install AdBlue pumps for the newest big-rigs which have SCR systems. I haven't seen pricing yet though. Looks like they will also sell individual bottles too! My guess is that will be cheaper than any dealer would ever be. http://www.findadblue.com/newsarticle101489.aspx

Last edited:
In bulk quantities, urea ought to sell for around $1/gallon. So any price greater than that for windshield washer fluid is too much. Question: if urea freezes, is it still okay to use after it thaws out?

I've been looking a lot online on urea/AdBlue and from what I've read it's perfectly fine to use after it's thawed. Apparently the Urea has a shelf life though of a year or two, then it's "bad". It seems that the MB and BMW diesels (at least) with the system have a holding tank heater. The car runs without injecting the AdBlue intially (since it's frozen) then it will squirt as it begins to melt.

Last edited: