Acura TSX vs Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
like Audi is to VW the same but different + more costly overall. a fellow worker wanted the Honda dealer to change his Acuras oil to save a $$ he was told to go to the Acura dealer $$$ as always everything depends on your $$$ + ability to use it!!

Originally Posted by cpayne5
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT

While I did find it a really nice car, I felt that due to how it "wanted" to be driven (by way of revs and shifting) - I felt it would wear-out sooner than the less high-strung cars we were trying out. Now, some would differ with me, in their assessment - but however well balanced an engine is, all things being equal, the one that revs higher will typically wear out sooner. And in like manner, the flick-flick-flick shifter that encourages quick and numerous shifts... will ultimately pack it in sooner, due to this carefree (and frequent) use.

I have an '06 TSX 6MT. I bought it in 2008 with 10k miles. I have driven it like it wants to be driven. It gets redlined multiple times daily.
smile.gif

It has 273k on it right now, with no signs of slowing down. My commute is backroads, so it accelerates 0-60+ frequently. The only issue the car's had was the steering rack at 125k. It still has the original clutch, even.

Best car I've ever owned.

Probably Honda's best car to date...

I have an '06 TSX 6MT. I bought it in 2008 with 10k miles. I have driven it like it wants to be driven. It gets redlined multiple times daily.
smile.gif

It has 273k on it right now, with no signs of slowing down. My commute is backroads, so it accelerates 0-60+ frequently. The only issue the car's had was the steering rack at 125k. It still has the original clutch, even.

I recently replaced the 4 coils on our car, with just shy of 200K.
I used Delphi coils...
If you have not done so, I suggest investing the $120 and 20 minutes.
Our TSX is amazing.
Delphi GN10370

smile.gif

What's been your regular oil and filter?

I think both body styles are nice. If I was buying I'd go for whichever was the better deal, or came in the color (black) and options I wanted (especially manual transmission) I wanted. A V6 manual would be my preference, but not likely to find one and probably very difficult to work on compared to the 4 cylinder. A 2.4 and manual transmission would still likely smoke my 305 v8 (150hp) winter beater Caprice because it's slow.

I'm not planning on buying anything for a bit but I've been theoretically thinking of what 12-16 year old vehicles I could buy that might be as dependable as my 36 year old winter beater. Old tech means I don't have to worry about fuel pumps etc, something's always broken but nothing that strands me anywhere.

An older accord or TSX, or Camry were at the top of my list in my head.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
smile.gif

What's been your regular oil and filter?

I don't have any regulars. I've ran everything from 5w20 to 5w40. Mobil1, SOPUS, Castrol, Valvoline. I don't think I've ran anything other than synthetic. Filters have been Purolator PureOnes, Fram Ultras, and now I'm burning through some Napa Platinums that I got on sale. Usually at least 2 OCIs per filter.

Here's what she looked like two years ago, the last time I had the valve cover off. I don't know the exact mileage, but probably somewhere around 220k. I'd be surprised if it looked any different today.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Originally Posted by ctechbob
I meant 4 door 6 speed Accord. Thought one thing in my brain, typed something else, I own and drive a V6 Sedan.

V6 Manual was never in the 4 door Accords, nor the TSX. Was only available in the Accord Coupe.

Honda offered the Accord sedan with the V6 and manual transmission in the 2006 and 2007 MYs.

Not sure how I missed that, I stand corrected.

They're pretty rare.
smile.gif

They are quite rare. The V6 6MT sedans were the same price as the V6 auto sedans. They were almost $40,000 new in Canada.

I have one but have never seen another one in the wild. Mine is a 2007 with 180,000 Km (112,000 miles). It's still a very reliable car too.

You can recognize the V6 Accord sedans by the dual exhausts. The trim on the back of the 6MTs has the V6 painted in red on chrome. The trim on the automatics is black on chrome. That's the only external distinguishing feature.

I've had a couple of guys recognize it as a 6MT. One by listening as I backed into a camping space. The other by the red on chrome V6 trim.

It's obviously a keeper!

Obviously not in the same class... but pretty darned rare - my 6MT '17 Mazda6.

You're right, it is a keeper.

But I would have bought a Mazda6 6MT a year or so ago if they still made them. Not a bad car at all. It's sporty, looks good, has reasonable interior room for 4 and has a relatively conventional power train. I test drove one about 5 years ago, and liked it a lot. I probably should have bought one then.

But my 2 cars are running well and I drive them so little that I just keep putting off buying anything. Best of all, I don't want to give up either of my current vehicles. And my depreciation costs are down to almost nothing.

And now EVs are really coming along really strong and may be my next car. A Tesla Model 3 would be ideal if it had more conventional controls, an analog speedometer and a spare tire. I hope the Tesla design people are reading "Bob".

I bought my Mazda6 6mt with a bit of a premonition that the 6mt would not continue to be available for model year 2018. I was right. Decent car but neither transmission nor engine are stellar. Engine is weak-kneed below 2800-2900 rpms... much more so than you'd expect a 2.5 litre (super-) long stroke 4 to be. Mazda muffed the design (IMHO) of the triple cone synchronizers for first and 2nd gears. Often gravelly, rough. Balance of gears (single cone synchro's) are fine. The actual axial engagement of the synchro sleeves over the dog-teeth is meagre. You can feel it at times. This is Mazda using "low-index" dog-teeth (read that as many, fine dog-teeth) with lesser axial engagement in order to achieve shorter throws at the gear lever. Time will tell... but me thinks: lesser durability over time.

Sorry, I'm fussy. Some of these things... you just can't tell - until you've owned it a while.

I think no car is perfect... but to some degree you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
I also bought the car when I did 'cuz living here on the left coast of Canada in the most "progressive" city in Canada - I fully expect that I will have to have an electric car if City Council has their way... to be able to drive in the City at all... soon. This will affect what Mfrs have available for sale. I consider my 6mt "gasser" to be my last one, for all practical purposes... and so I want it to last. i bought it new and I was the ONLY "test pilot" (had 5km on odo when bought).

I bought my Mazda6 6mt with a bit of a premonition that the 6mt would not continue to be available for model year 2018. I was right. Decent car but neither transmission nor engine are stellar. Engine is weak-kneed below 2800-2900 rpms... much more so than you'd expect a 2.5 litre (super-) long stroke 4 to be. Mazda muffed the design (IMHO) of the triple cone synchronizers for first and 2nd gears. Often gravelly, rough. Balance of gears (single cone synchro's) are fine. The actual axial engagement of the synchro sleeves over the dog-teeth is meagre. You can feel it at times. This is Mazda using "low-index" dog-teeth (read that as many, fine dog-teeth) with lesser axial engagement in order to achieve shorter throws at the gear lever. Time will tell... but me thinks: lesser durability over time.

I erred: I should have said "low module", not "low-index". The "module" of a gear is the the pitch diameter divided by the number of teeth. So a low-module gear has many (fine) teeth.

I think no car is perfect...

Too true. The Honda Accord V6 6MT sedan is a very good car. But the transmission is only silky smooth when it has fresh fluid. And getting a cam belt replaced costs quite a bit. And it doesn't ride as nicely or as quietly as the BMW. And the BMW has better headlights.

My BMW 528i 5MT M sport is also a very good car but it costs more to maintain than the Accord. The Accord is faster, or at least it feels faster. And the BMW doesn't get quite as good mileage (+/- 35 MPG imperial on the highway).

All just details. But neither car is perfect. In just the same way I think your Mazda6 6MT is a very good car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back