Acura TL - 3.7 need oil type change to slow consumption

I've got a 2014 TL the 3.7. some have consumption issues from the factory. It happens mostly when you hit the gas like my wife does before it's fully warm. You can drive it warn on a road trip for 3k miles and it won't burn a drop, is the cold starts that cause it, and with the wife driving it on commute it happens often. I've been running the factory semi syn 5w-20. I am out of warranty and going to switch oils.

Any recommendations for oils/weights that will slow consumption in this motor? I'm not sure if i can use a heavier weight without risk to motor. Was thinking to use M1 high mileage if available, the car has 90k on it.

5W30 Maxlife red bottle blend would be my first choice, then higher weights if needed. Sounds like maybe loose piston & ring clearances that get better with heat? Or is the oil burning visible at start (valve seals)?
I think it's the loose piston & ring clearances. Also to note, it but burns much less in the first 3k after an OC. The last 2k can be 1-2 Q depending on time of year and type of driving.

Hard to say. I think the 3.7's consumption issues were due to cylinder wear due to some material issues, so I don't know how much oil will help.

Are you already outside of the 8/125k warranty extension?
The TL was only made until 2014 and mine is out of that warranty. The consumption tests required burning a lot on a fresh oil change, i think it was a quart per 1k miles to qualify for warranty replacement. Mine isn't close to this consumption rate, and really doesn't burn noticeable amounts before 3k on the oil. It's been like this since new, and as i stated above i think it's a clearance issue not a wear issue.

I took it to Acura when i found out about the warranty extension, they set up the test to exclude all but the worst consuming engines

Unlike most recent oil consumption issues that are the result of piston ring deposits, I think this one is a bit different. I would try different oils, but I think you should plan on doing a short block replacement or getting rid of the car.

This is of no use towards answering your question but I had 2010 TL SH-AWD and really liked that 3.7 + SH-AWD. I beat the crap out of it but got rid of it 50k miles.

This is of no use towards answering your question but I had 2010 TL SH-AWD and really liked that 3.7 + SH-AWD. I beat the crap out of it but got rid of it 50k miles.
Yeah, hard to find a car like this anymore. Big enough to seat 4 adults comfortably, AWD is great in the slick stuff. Im going to play with oil and hopefully keep it another 100k.

I've got a 2014 TL the 3.7. some have consumption issues from the factory. It happens mostly when you hit the gas like my wife does before it's fully warm. You can drive it warn on a road trip for 3k miles and it won't burn a drop, is the cold starts that cause it, and with the wife driving it on commute it happens often. I've been running the factory semi syn 5w-20. I am out of warranty and going to switch oils.

Any recommendations for oils/weights that will slow consumption in this motor? I'm not sure if i can use a heavier weight without risk to motor. Was thinking to use M1 high mileage if available, the car has 90k on it.
It's burning after 3k 'cause the oil has begun to thin at 3k. Simple solution would be to change the oil at 3k. Check the Vis on your current oil and just pick a higher Vis 5w-20 for starters. M1EP 5-20 ran pretty thick in my '17 Camry.

Try some Delvac 1500 15W-40. Use it in all by variable valve cars with no issue. My wife's CX-9 has the Ford 3.7 and it is known to eat oil. Definitely slows consumption compared to the watery 0w-20 or 5w-20 Honda recommends.

It's burning after 3k 'cause the oil has begun to thin at 3k. Simple solution would be to change the oil at 3k. Check the Vis on your current oil and just pick a higher Vis 5w-20 for starters. M1EP 5-20 ran pretty thick in my '17 Camry.
Viscosity in the Acura 5w-20
Kinematic Viscosity cSt 40°C47.0
Kinematic Viscosity cSt 100°C8.5

Viscosity in the M1EP 0w-20 at same respective temps

Viscosity in the M1EP 5w-20 at same respective temps

Viscosity in the M1EP 5w-30 at same respective temps

I'm thinking to try the M1EP 5w20 to start as it's pretty close and see what happens...

Last edited:
I have a Honda 2.5L that recommends 5w20 - I tried 0w20 and everything up to 10w30 and it always used at least two litres, with the first liter disappearing within 1K.

On my most recent change I went with Supertech 5w40 Full Syn and it's down about 2/3rd of a liter after 3500k. The 40 weight seems to have made a significant improvement.

Hold on. You're using 5W-20 and losing less than a quart of oil in 1000 miles once you get to 3000 miles on a change. That is nowhere near heart stoppingly bad consumption. Not what you'd like to see, but not that bad either.

Sounds like it starts using oil when the oil loses a bit of viscosity. Why not try a 0W or 5W-30 synthetic (M1 if you like, or any good quality oil) and see what happens.

Let us know.

Reactions: JC1
Back