Acura TL - 3.7 need oil type change to slow consumption

3.7-liter, SOHC V-6 from the spec sheet
This is a slightly larger version of the 3.5L J35 found in older TLs. I know of owners with these older TLs that had the same consumption issues, and went through the same dealer consumption tests.

Oddly enough the same engine was used in Honda's marine engines where Honda recommended 10w30.

As others have said consumption later into the OCI indicates the oil is losing viscosity and no longer suitable. You know for the future to take the owner's manual recommendation with a grain of salt, under warranty or not. Manufacturers have very stringent environmental targets to meet.

Use a High HTHS oil, usually found in "Euro" formulas. I also wouldn't hesitate to try Mobil 1 0w40 as others have suggested.
Also check the PCV as others have suggested.

Last edited:
I didn’t check to see if it was SOHC or DOHC, sorry. I just meant it is a higher-performance overhead-cam, 6-cylinder engine that would benefit from a thicker 0W-40 Euro-spec oil.

FZ1

.0Viscosity in the Acura 5w-20
Kinematic Viscosity cSt 40°C47.0
Kinematic Viscosity cSt 100°C8.5

Viscosity in the M1EP 0w-20 at same respective temps

Viscosity in the M1EP 5w-20 at same respective temps

Viscosity in the M1EP 5w-30 at same respective temps

I'm thinking to try the M1EP 5w20 to start as it's pretty close and see what happens...
Good plan. The 9.0 M1 5-20 EP ran , noticeably, "thicker" than the 8.8 M1 0w-20 AFE it replaced in a cold Texas winter. Hope it helps.

Disable VCM - VCM Tuner II from vcmtuner.com. VCM leads to piston ring problems, oil fouling of spark plugs, oil consumption, misfires. See every Hinda discussion board.

Replace the PCV as a precaution.

Mobil 1 High Mileage or HIgh Mileage Extended Performance in factory specified weight has worked for me well in the 3 Honda J35 enginee that I maintain.

My buddy’s got a beater Acura TL with that engine. Engine has about 295k miles. He use to run 5w20 in it and it burned about half a quart per 2k miles. The engine really needs to be replaced but he’s just gonna run it till it stops running and then junk it.

So lately he’s been using whatever 5w40 he could find and now it only burns half a quart per 4-5k miles.

Thicker oil seemed to help my buddy out. You might want to try it and see how it is.

Its an acura with the VQ 3.7 I assume, most vqs tend to burn oil from what I've gathered all around the web and owners. My lexus with the 3.5L yota engine had consumption issues after the 3k mark as well and I watched it like a hawk. Check my thread I created on my profile about it, I believe my issues were deferred maintenance/stuck piston rings. Also I religously ran PP/PUP 5w30 in it with a wix filter, just recently started playing with Mobil 5w30 syn and it seems to burn more by being lower on the dipstick once at 5k than the PP during a 5k interval (all engines may react differently AND I also noticed when the oil burned at WOT it had a unique smell that entered the cabin and I never had that before using mobil so the natural gas stuff maybe burns cleaner if anything) so just run it harder once at operating temp to see if something may change (it definitely did for me). When starting the car let it idle up to 1 Min no longer than that and drive it conservatively before it warms up and before shutting it down let the thing idle for a few seconds to cool off as well. I also would recommend using more cruise control since that would reduce engine stress and it may also have an affect ;)

Last edited:
I've got a 2014 TL the 3.7. some have consumption issues from the factory. It happens mostly when you hit the gas like my wife does before it's fully warm. You can drive it warn on a road trip for 3k miles and it won't burn a drop, is the cold starts that cause it, and with the wife driving it on commute it happens often. I've been running the factory semi syn 5w-20. I am out of warranty and going to switch oils.

Any recommendations for oils/weights that will slow consumption in this motor? I'm not sure if i can use a heavier weight without risk to motor. Was thinking to use M1 high mileage if available, the car has 90k on it.
5w-20 mobil 1 HM.
3 Short oil changes.

I switched my 2015 Canyon over to Castrol 5W-40 and consumption slowed compared to the Mobil1 5W-30 every 5,000 it has lived on since 2015. I switched it to Mobil 1 5W-40 2 changes ago change and it seems to have almost stopped. The GM 3.6 likes it thick. Your Honda 3.7 might as well.