Acura MDX - Differential 75w90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some sort of confirmation of what is the difference on the 75w90 differential oil GL-4 vs GL-5..

I am using this ;
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_ca/prod...uids-axle-oils/platinum-gear-75w-90.html

because its labeled as gear oil and not axle oil, and its available to me.. M1 is nearly impossible to find... others are way over priced.

I am having difficulties pinning down what is better recommended for my MDX.
Ive done 2 OCI on the diff so far... no issues.. as far as i can tell... but can I really?, unless it fails...

thoughts?
thx
J.

Well gears are in your axel. Use what you have used In the past, and what your book calls for....disregard focusing on the word axel of gear.

GL-5 contains EP additives if I recall correctly, that can cause damage cupreous metals, so if something specifies GL-4 or older stick to GL-4 and if something calls for GL-5 use GL-5

Thats my issue... the book sayz.... see your dealer for service.. it dosnt give spec...
and the dealer wants to sell you something thats 3x the price..

Originally Posted by domer10
Well gears are in your axel. Use what you have used In the past, and what your book calls for....disregard focusing on the word axel of gear.

ok.. whats is it when there is no axle in the diff box..?? its a center diff on a AWD system... its right in the middle...

Just google your make and model, and it will tell you. Make sure it's proper trim level etc.

ive done so ..many a times... its still not clear..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2K2AcuraTL

ok.. whats is it when there is no axle in the diff box..?? its a center diff on a AWD system... its right in the middle...

Ahhh I know what you are talking about.....active rear differential , the center diff is like a clutch pack that determines when to send that power to rear.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
GL-5 contains EP additives if I recall correctly, that can cause damage cupreous metals, so if something specifies GL-4 or older stick to GL-4 and if something calls for GL-5 use GL-5

Thats my problem.. i havent been able to pin it down...

New All-Wheel Drive Fluid
(DPSF) for SH-AWD
Acura parts stock has a new SH-AWD rear differential fluid available. It''s Acura All-Wheel Drive Fluid (DPSF), and it replaces ATF-Z1. It''s been specifically formulated to withstand the extreme conditions in the AWD differential, offering better protection and greater longevity.
DPSF is the factory fill for all ''11 Acura models with SH-AWD, as well as some ''10 models, and should be used in ''10 and earlier models that call for ATF-Z1 or DPSF. However, ''01-06 MDXs will still use VTM-4 differential fluid.
Models that are factory-filled with DPSF have DPSF stamped on the rear differential assembly. The fluid is also clear instead of pink. If you need to top off the diff fluid and DPSF isn''t available, go ahead and use ATF-Z1; it''s OK in a pinch.
DPSF is available in 1-quart bottles (P/N08

New All-Wheel Drive Fluid
(DPSF) for SH-AWD
Acura parts stock has a new SH-AWD rear differential fluid available. It''s Acura All-Wheel Drive Fluid (DPSF), and it replaces ATF-Z1. It''s been specifically formulated to withstand the extreme conditions in the AWD differential, offering better protection and greater longevity.
DPSF is the factory fill for all ''11 Acura models with SH-AWD, as well as some ''10 models, and should be used in ''10 and earlier models that call for ATF-Z1 or DPSF. However, ''01-06 MDXs will still use VTM-4 differential fluid.
Models that are factory-filled with DPSF have DPSF stamped on the rear differential assembly. The fluid is also clear instead of pink. If you need to top off the diff fluid and DPSF isn''t available, go ahead and use ATF-Z1; it''s OK in a pinch.
DPSF is available in 1-quart bottles (P/N08

Apologizes. Sir... ..............not the rear diff.... the center diif or transfer case....

Are you talking about the transfer case, for the transfer case it says to use Genuine Honda Hypoid Gear Lube in the Manual which is a 75w-85 GL-5 gear lube.

[Linked Image]

Are you talking about the transfer case, for the transfer case it says to use Genuine Honda Hypoid Gear Lube in the Manual which is a 75w-85 GL-5 gear lube.

Thank-you.. thats what i was looking for..

so as far as I can determine.. using a GL-5 in a GL-4 application is dangerous..
and a GL-4 in a GL-5 can work .. but i will revert to GL-5 at first opportunity..
Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2K2AcuraTL

Thank-you.. thats what i was looking for..

so as far as I can determine.. using a GL-5 in a GL-4 application is dangerous..
and a GL-4 in a GL-5 can work .. but i will revert to GL-5 at first opportunity..
Thanks

GL 4 is not for GL5 applications and following the manuals recommendations is a a good idea

Done...
Called my nearest Partsource.. and they said - we have 1 PP GL-5 .. so off I went.. the bottle is waiting for me at the counter... until I see its 75w140.. nope.. not the one
They are switching over to RL...!!! and she price matched the PP at 19.00.... Deal..!!

get home and Im feeling twitchy.... even though its 29-30*F [-2C].. ahhh fiddle... I get underneath and drop oil..
smile.gif

Glad its taken care of
Cheers
J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back