Acura Integra "DIES" put in gear... Easy Fix? IAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the engine dies, do the dashboard idiot lights illuminate, or do they remain OFF?

still shopping? are you scraping the bottom of the barrel on this thread. cant wait to see more examples.

It could be anything, but if the seller has been through this and given up and you're the buyer, you should know.

You should go out there and give it a touch of gas on the way into gear to see if this cures it, usually does if it's something cheap, and won't if it's something expensive.

One underlooked thing is if the TPS is worn it will show 1% throttle instead of 0%, not throw a code, and the car will think it doesn't have to adjust the idle, because it's not "at idle".

Eljefino's second paragraph is right. If it is just the IACV or throttle position sensor, hitting the gas lightly will keep it running.

Any time someone is trying to sell you a car that has a problem, but he says it is a cheap and easy fix, you have to wonder why he didn't fix it himself. That would make the car easier to sell and increase its value. Unless of course it's not really cheap and easy to fix.

Auto trans issue ?
We used to have old Pontiac Sunbirds that would die when coming to a stop and it was the torque converter clutch solenoid staying engaged killing the engine.
I know this is comparing apples to oranges, but it's a possibility.
The add states it's an automatic.

I am pretty good at Hondas.

... kind of.

What year Integra? Trim level? Engine?

Dies put in gear, or dies when you depress the gas pedal after put in gear?

Sure, Honda IACV valves clog, but the frequently surge when that happens. This would be the first one that dies and doesn't surge I have heard of..

Holy [censored]. No. Go sit down and read this thread. Never ever say you are good at Hondas. There is too much video evidence to the contrary.
OP, you need to find out if it's a low power issue or a idle issue. As suggested, I'd open the throttle and see if the engine still shuts off. If it does you need to check fuel/air/spark because the low power can't handle anything but idle. Does the engine rev in P-N? As this is a potential buy, I'd pass. This generation of obd takes an expert to troubleshoot because many times the car can't tell you what's wrong. It may be simple but if it was I would bet that the seller would have figured it out as mentioned by someone above me.

Last edited:
. The ecm/PCM modifies its IAC output based on several parameters but to test if the IAC is responding, you should turn the steering wheel or turn on the ac. Both of these will cause the ecm/PCM to increase IAC duty cycle and at least you'd have a way to test the IAC response. The idle should jump about 1-200 rpm when the power steering pressure switch sees a certain pressure or the mg clutch is engaged. This is marginally useful info because most of these dinosaurs have no ac and leaky power steering g systems.

Originally Posted By: Cyclicrate
Holy [censored]. No. Go sit down and read this thread. Never ever say you are good at Hondas. There is too much video evidence to the contrary.
OP, you need to find out if it's a low power issue or a idle issue. As suggested, I'd open the throttle and see if the engine still shuts off. If it does you need to check fuel/air/spark because the low power can't handle anything but idle. Does the engine rev in P-N? As this is a potential buy, I'd pass. This generation of obd takes an expert to troubleshoot because many times the car can't tell you what's wrong. It may be simple but if it was I would bet that the seller would have figured it out as mentioned by someone above me.

OP never answered these questions:

Originally Posted By: Supercalifragili
What year Integra? Trim level? Engine?

Dies put in gear, or dies when you depress the gas pedal after put in gear?

Sure, Honda IACV valves clog, but the frequently surge when that happens. This would be the first one that dies and doesn't surge I have heard of..

You dismiss that, in my Honda "adventures," that I have learned much of how they work.

I'll feed the troll:

One thing you haven't learned, though by God, you should have by now, is that you don't have what it takes to fix cars. If you are determined to follow this path, go get a job changing oil. If they don't kick you out after two weeks, go find the Master/old crotchety [censored] with old tools and a clean shirt and ask if you can sweep his bay, every day. He might teach you something that destroying cars like a fool hasn't so far. You have NOTHING to add to this board, save some tragic comic relief. So before you degrade the content of this excellent board further, please Read More and Post Less. I may come off as crisp, but I have been lurking here for a year, getting a feel for the tone of the board. Your post count to useful info ratio is staggeringly out of wack. Take some ritalin, kick back, and read posts from people who are qualified to have an opinion.

To everyone else:
Please forgive me if my tone is out of line, I come here to read serious subject matter expert discussion and use BITOG as a data resource.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back