Acetone/transmission fluid storage?

I have one of those old style oilers where they're made of metal and you pull the lever to oil something. Can I mix some up then just leave it inside one of those oilers? Or is their a risk of it leaking out?

Depending on what the can and its pump are made out of, maybe. Acetone is a pretty aggressive solvent and can destroy plastic and rubber parts, so the pump and/or its seals may be damaged. Make sure the can seals when not being pressed, the acetone may evaporate or the vapor pressure may push fluid out of the container otherwise. Be sure to shake the container to mix the acetone and ATF together before using it. They don't mix well, the acetone settles to the bottom over time. And yes, the mix is 50/50.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I have one of those old style oilers where they're made of metal and you pull the lever to oil something. Can I mix some up then just leave it inside one of those oilers? Or is their a risk of it leaking out?

Acetone is sold in plastic bottles for nail polish remover. I guess you can pour off half in another bottle and store it in there?

There are plastics and plastics. Also, the acetone content is low in nail polish remover.

My favorite ATF/acetone jar is the crinkly, clear Boush and Lomb contact lens solution containers.

They have a flip top and a teeny-weeny hole so you can shoot accurately

Originally Posted by Kira
There are plastics and plastics. Also, the acetone content is low in nail polish remover.

My favorite ATF/acetone jar is the crinkly, clear Boush and Lomb contact lens solution containers.

They have a flip top and a teeny-weeny hole so you can shoot accurately

Says 100% acetone on the ones I buy :lol:
Works well on rust, I put a bit in a dollar tree spray bottle with ATF and spray.
The dollar tree bottle is distorted but sprays fine.

Works wonders on rusty hardware. As good as kroil or pb for what I use it for.

Last edited:
Id just keep it in a glass jar and disperse some when needed. As this stuff isnt pressurized/aerosol, its hard to get everywhere, and other solutions are sometimes more convenient.

So big jar with a good amount, then a baby food jar with a little bit, applied with an acid brush... or items dropped in and shook.

It does separate, so shake!

And use PBlaster where aerosol is needed

Some plastics can handle it no problem, there is 100% acetone nail polish remover that comes in plastic bottles the top on the metal cans is made from plastic too. I personally wouldn't keep it in a glass jar because it's fragile and I am clumsy and would certainly knock it over at some point and spill flammable liquid everywhere.

Where I live daily heat cycles cause a pump oil can like you describe to usually end up sitting in a puddle from contraction/expansion cycles. I must leave cap/s loose enough to vent container or issues will occur. I had a plastic bottle of machinists blue in wall cabinet and it developed a spontaneous leak and made a yyyuge mess down the shelves. Use a solid container that seals 100%. With large temp change the light volatiles will escape the container over time.

Acetone comes in different qualities mostly by how much water is in it. It absorbs water extremely fast. It’s solvent ability is at the same time not very good for oil and grease. Trichlor is far better.
I am very familiar with acetone having worked with it in optics fabrication. It’s so bad with holding water only the highest grades can be used, and they have to be used right away from the bottle or water is left behind on the surface, after cleaning a polished surface. It absorbs water from the air that fast.
I have to try the acetone in oil mix for rust.

As someone who works with 10's of thousands of gallons of it yearly I never understood the observation with it soooooo many more and proven options question why do u think so many use it???

IMG_20200809_123934794.jpg
I save the metal can it comes in, and mix atf in at 50%.
I dispense what I need to use in my oiler.
I don't put more than I need to use as it will evaporate from the oiler, but not from the can.

Back