ACEA A5/B5 5w-30 High Milage Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a new to us 2016 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription with suspect service history the last couple years. On top of that the dealership chain I bought it from is notorious for using all sorts of "profit" additives and using Pennzoil motor oil in all of their cars regardless of what the manufacturer recommends. I'm doing all the maintenance on the car and want to get it on a quality high milage oil, Volvo requires an ACEA A5/B5 5w-30 oil. Is the M1 5w-30 HM currently the only high milage oil meeting this requirement?

Thank you for the assistance. My searching both here and google turned up little help.

A3BA0C1A-914B-4846-B153-CAF931CE16D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Assuming it is out of warranty, feel comfortable with using anything that meets ACEA A3/B4 or even ACEA C3. Look for other approvals to go with the ACEA specifications. For example, with an ACEA A3/B4 oil you could look for Porsche A40, BMW LL01, VW 502/505. Or if you look for an ACEA C3 lube then look for VW 504/507, BMW LL04 or Dexos2.

If it was my XC90 and I didn't have a warranty I would look to use Castrol Edge 0w40 A3/B4.

However, if it is under warranty then any major manufacturer oil that meets the appropriate specification will work perfectly well.

Also bare in mind that in the UK the only oils approved for these VEA 2.0 4 pot engines is a 0w20 ACEA C5 oil with Volvo RBS0-2AE approval. Although I use an ACEA C3 oil with 504/507 approval in my VEA engine.

Looks too nice, to treat it as in-need-of-inner-engine messin' with.
Does it need high mileage oil? If not, then go with Golden Vanilla of name-brand preference.

My S60 has the same oil requirement. The easiest to find A5/B5 are Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1. I selected M1 for the $12/jug rebate. I selected EP over the regular because of the 10k OCI and the turbo, 2-3 bucks per jug more than regular M1 wasn't going to break me.

The Mobil 1 high mileage 5w30 also has A5/B5 cert.

The Pennzoil Platinum high mileage 5w30 does not have any ACEA certs.

My son had (just traded in on a new XC-90) a 2015 S60 T6 R-Design. For 80,000 + miles I changed oil between 4,500-5,000 miles with Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 w/Fram Ultra Oil Filter. Towards the end I did throw in a few changes with 10W-30 Ultra (does not meet A5/B5 specs) Car never missed a beat. It is SN plus now besides your wanted A5/B5. Sometimes Ultra can be had for less than Platinum...They do have slightly different specs

Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30

any quality fake synthetic would likely do, but being in Florida a 10-30 is a better choice as its slightly heavier 10w @ 40C will have less burnoff AKA noack, that are not shown because the lighter oils being pushed today have poorer noack specs unless you step up to a real synthetic PAO + or Ester based oil at almost 3 times the cost!!

Lots of 5W-30 ACEA A5/B5 oils out there like even the plain vanilla Mobil 1

I have never seen a High Mileage 5W-30 ACEA A5/B5 oil of any brand though....

It depends on how much you'd like to spend.

I used Ravenol FDS 5W-30 in my Mercedes. It carries A5/B5 specs, is PAO based with Tungsten. It also carries MB Spec 229.6 which is extended drain. MB Oil Life Monitor said "Next change due in 365 days"
Living in FL, I change oil once a year (winter) whether it needs it or not. REGARDLESS of mileage.

Problem is, your talking $50.00 for 5 liters. Mine came from Blauparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back