ACEA A3,A5

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the cheapest oil that meets ACEA A3, or A5? I want to use this speck as a barometer for the cheapest good oil I can find. The API sequences do not seem as robust as the European stuff.

It will depend on where in the USA you buy it. Here in Tennessee, I believe that Castrol Syntec Blend at Wally's (about $10.96) in 5 qt. jugs actually meets A3. Look on the container to be sure. It probably does not meet B3 or B5, however. I'm pretty sure I saw it meeting A3 on the new jugs I looked at this morning.

This was on the 10W-30 jug, I think. None of Castrols 30wts. meet B3 or B5.

Mobil 1 also meets B5
grin.gif
, but pricier.

I've accumulated the spec sheets for almost a dozen conventional oils over the past half-year, and NONE of them list compliance with ANY of the "A" ACEA specs. As Haley10 has suggested, and perhaps you already knew, you can limit your search to synthetic oils, and possibly syn blends. Should be able to resolve this quickly by going to a large parts store and studying the bottles of the half-dozen or so syn brands there.

quote:

Originally posted by headfirst:
What is the cheapest oil that meets ACEA A3, or A5? I want to use this speck as a barometer for the cheapest good oil I can find. The API sequences do not seem as robust as the European stuff.

In the over the counter oils the 10w-40's both the Valvoline Durablend and Castrol Syntec Blend meets ACEA A3... the 10w-30's do not .

Those two cost a little under 10 bucks for a 5 quart jug when available at Walmart . Maybe other parts stores have the jugs too ? Otherwise I've seen both at 2.00 - 2.50 a quart depending .

My spec sheets for Delo 400 and Pennzoil Long Life both mention E3 and E5, but no A or B certs. Rotella's spec sheet doesn't mention any ACEA certs.

What are the main parameters of ACEA A3 that we are interested in? I think there was a post that mentioned A3 required a minimum HT/HS of 3.5. You can get that in a lot of 10w40 oils (e.g., Exxon Superflow, Valvoline Maxlife), but maybe some of the other A3 parameters would not be met.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back