AcDelco vs Bosch vs Wagner vs Akebono vs Powerstop Brake Pads???

I have had good luck with the Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads. They also come with the callier clips in the box. I would pay the extra money and get the ThermoQuiet versus the Wagner QuckStop.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I installed these on the front of a Camry my sister once owned. They are friction rated GG and had the most positive change in brake pedal feel of any pads I've ever installed.
https://ebcbrakes.com/product/ultimax-brake-pads/

This is good to know .^^^ These pads may in fact be the better product though I'll probably never give them a chance. I typically like the brands that the OP listed, you know, the everyday stuff.

I'm not knocking GG pads as I think they have their place but, could be hit or miss. However, I haven't use an aftermarket GG pad that I have actually liked for a daily driver. The high performance brands such as EBC or HAWK, etc, are better indeed.

For me, GG CoF pads always felt as though I had to apply more pedal pressure for every stop. And even when they're HOT, they still never felt as good as FF pads for that OE feeling. Maybe the GG friction is better in repeated hard stops for street performance, which I don' t do in the everydayness.

One test that I do to judge brake pad "GRAB" is to do a brake stand...NO! I don't do brake stands with my vehicles, just as a test. With GG CoF pads, my vehicles still creep forward even after they're HOT and bedded in, even a year or two later in fact. I just can't get that confident feeling with them.

Best of luck,

CB

Also, it's interesting that the Ultimax2 brake pads that come up in the picture of the EBC link, are a CoF of "FF".
Again, not knocking GG friction pads but they're not for everyone.

I believe that if someone is looking for that OE feel, stay with FF pads.
If someone is looking for that extra special brake power/feel for high(er) performance driving on the street or track for better repeated stopping, or even if they want more aggressive brake then indeed, get something else such as EBC with a specific CoF.

Last edited:
Raybestos Element 3 EHT. GG friction rating. I was about to replace calipers and hoses on my Suburban due to poor braking.. I had tried a few different pads all with pretty much the same result until I tried the Raybestos EHT. Night and day difference, quiet and dont fade...slows down the heavy pig cold or hot.

I also was on my 3rd set of rotors and pads on my Honda Fit Sport- within 15K miles the stopping power was horrible with OEM pads NAPA and Advance ceramics.

I am 20K into a set of Raybestos coated rotors and the EHT pads on the Fit and I am happy.. feels like brand new.

Purchased all Raybestos Coated Rotors and EHT pads from Rockauto, much cheaper than any box store.

I will put these pads and rotors on everything i own until something better comes out..

GREAT!
smile.gif

Theses are the types of brake discussions that we need more of. Not so much for myself as I'm happy with what I am using and the price that I'm paying. But for other members who are uncertain about brake quality, friction rating etc. I do in fact like hearing & learning more about other brands and/or friction grades that I am less familiar with.

Last edited:
I purchase the lifetime warranty pads / shoes from Rockauto.com or the local brick and mortar stores .

My wife and I are senior citizens & drive like the old people we are .

We do not drive like we are competing at the Indy 500 .

If you see a traffic sign or lite ahead , take your foot off the gas and coast as much as you can , might get there as the lite turns green .

Brakws / tires last longer . MPG usually improves .

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
What is your usage?

For best stopping power and feel, cross ceramic off your list.

Indeed, wear your brake dust proudly.

My car shipped with a horrid Jurid pad, super radical track spec, squealed horribly and wore rotors like candy. Just not streetable. Replaced with Stoptech, really nice compromise pad, smooth and quiet, yet track capable if not too high speed of a circuit. For those who do not know this car came with the 4 pot fixed caliper brembos from the factory.

I have used Thermoquiet, Advance ceramic (high grade), and another I cannot recall. Nothing has beat the Stoptech for feel, squeal, and driver appeal! Seriously, some of the ceramics are scary when wet and cold on a car with big brakes. Like Char Baby said, we need some bite!

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Raybestos Element 3 EHT. GG friction rating. I was about to replace calipers and hoses on my Suburban due to poor braking.. I had tried a few different pads all with pretty much the same result until I tried the Raybestos EHT. Night and day difference, quiet and dont fade...slows down the heavy pig cold or hot.

I also was on my 3rd set of rotors and pads on my Honda Fit Sport- within 15K miles the stopping power was horrible with OEM pads NAPA and Advance ceramics.

I am 20K into a set of Raybestos coated rotors and the EHT pads on the Fit and I am happy.. feels like brand new.

Purchased all Raybestos Coated Rotors and EHT pads from Rockauto, much cheaper than any box store.

I will put these pads and rotors on everything i own until something better comes out..

I agree with everything you said. I use EHT pads also. I recommend them to everyone. Before these I used Raybestos Advanced Technology pads.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Originally Posted by krismoriah72

I agree with everything you said. I use EHT pads also. I recommend them to everyone. Before these I used Raybestos Advanced Technology pads.

Glad to be seeing this, as I just bought a pair of the Raybestos EHT pads for my Silverado.

Well I do greatly appreciate the feedbak here indeed!

Looked into the raybestos element3 hybrid brake pads and bought those.
Wasn't more than $60 shipped!

The best brake pads were the EBC mentioned here, just that I am not going to spend $220.

Will post results of raybestos when I get some miles in.

~Thank you all very much

Originally Posted by Warstud
They are currently building a AC Delco plant here in MI that will open in early 2019. And brake parts will be one of the things they will make there.

Interesting.... There was a Delco/Delphi plant in Dayton OH years ago that made brake parts (and closed down). Not sure if they made pads, calipers, etc though, to be honest.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Warstud
They are currently building a AC Delco plant here in MI that will open in early 2019. And brake parts will be one of the things they will make there.

Interesting.... There was a Delco/Delphi plant in Dayton OH years ago that made brake parts (and closed down). Not sure if they made pads, calipers, etc though, to be honest.

When I was maintaining a GMT400 Tahoe, I read the GM service specs for the truck - and it seems like the hydraulics were from Delco Moraine, but Bendix supplied the friction.

The Tahoe (and variants) were built/assembled at a (former) GM facility in Moraine. I don't know what ALL was actually done at that plant beyond assembly. The brake plant (I actually had a job interview there after graduating from college) wasn't in what I would call Moraine but was pretty close, so maybe it was called that.

Well I do greatly appreciate the feedbak here indeed!

Looked into the raybestos element3 hybrid brake pads and bought those.
Wasn't more than $60 shipped!

The best brake pads were the EBC mentioned here, just that I am not going to spend $220.

Will post results of raybestos when I get some miles in.

~Thank you all very much
Did you put a lot of miles on the raybestos element3 hybrid brake pads? Are they good?

Did you put a lot of miles on the raybestos element3 hybrid brake pads? Are they good?
I used to love these Raybestos pads...
However, a new set of the Raybestos I installed on a vehicle, maybe 6 months ago, have been squeakers... Not very impressed. I even used some of the brake quiet stuff to no avail... Maybe they changed the formula?

I have switched to the Powerstop Z23, Carbon Fiber Ceramic and have loved them so far.

welcome2.gif

Akebono pads are awesome
smile.gif
You know your stuff but I gotta disagree on Akebono being awesome! They don't stop, fade, and exhibit poor feel. On my car, these are the highest performance street pads and GG rated. In my opinion; quiet, smooth, and clean are the only good things I can say about them. To many ppl, perhaps that's exactly what they are looking for and are "awesome"

I've had ACDelco semi-metallic pads on my cold-country Silverado trucks for as long as I remember. They've been fine.

Is there something better out there than these for light-duty GM pickup trucks?

Back