Accord and TSX Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting to see 1st gen TSX we have got, mentions to use 5W30 oil on the cap, while similar engine(not exactly replica though) of 07 Accord mentions to use 5W20?

Can I interchange either or stick to whatever is mentioned on the oil cap? I have a lot of 0W20 and 5W20(Civic and Accord calls) in the stash, but not much 5W30.

Of course, can always brew and blend but still wanted to see if there's any consensus?

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

My friend runs Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 in his 04 TSX for ages, no problems

Last edited:
The TSX engine is slightly different than the Accord engine of the time.

The TSX is 200 hp, uses premium, has VTEC on both intake and exhaust, and maybe a higher compression ratio as well. The Accord is 160 hp, regular, VTEC on intake only.

The first gen TSX was never back spec'd to any Xw20. That said, I'm sure there's a ton of them out there that are running just fine on 5w20 or 0w20 (probably dealer maintained cars that get whatever the bulk oil is).

Last edited:
The TSX was specced for 5W30 until the 2009 model year. I bought the 2010 model year, and they changed it 5W20.

It now has 250K miles on it, most of it 5W30 synthetic with a small percentage of it as 5W20 synthetic.

I use 5W30 in both our 2004 Acura TSX and 2004 Honda CR-V, since the 1st gen TSX was never back spec'ed for 0W20. The wife did bring it to an Acura dealer for some of the changes and they listed 0W20 on the invoice (who knows what they really used).

In 2011 the TSX was spec'd 0W20. Did the engine design change?

The Accord EX-L has a 190hp K24 engine.

I believe 07 VP is K24A8, have to check on it.

But think I'll just switch back and forth between 5W30 and 5W20 or maybe blend them
thumbsup2.gif

Our beloved 2006 TSX has almost 190K.
I ran M1 5w30 since new; a few years back I was talking to the local Acura dealer where we bought it.
The have been using 5w20; I switched to M1 5w20 High Mileage.
Last service I accidently grabbed the jug of Idemitsu 0w20; she loves the stuff.

I will use 5w20 going forward, unless I mess up again.
That's what you get for hiring inferior help, I guess.

Did I mention she LOVES the Idemitsu ATF Honda equivalent?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I ran M1 5w30 since new; a few years back I was talking to the local Acura dealer where we bought it.
Last service I accidently grabbed the jug of Idemitsu 0w20; she loves the stuff.

Thanks and very helpful.

Probably I'll use 0W20 or 5W20 for all of them!

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Has the 0W20 been the best oil so far?

You can run whatever you want in your Honda/Acura without any worries.

In my Accord, which has 170k miles, I've run 5w20 for the first 80k miles (old school PU before GTL) and I've been running Maxlife 5w30 since. I'll probably run this oil until the car is retired....or perhaps switch to M1 0w40 in her last years of service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Has the 0W20 been the best oil so far?

The TSX really seemed to like the Idemitsu 0w20 blend. I will use 5w20 HM going forward.
Perhaps call your Acura dealer and ask the service department what they are using for these cars.
Acura did spec 5w30 for this K24 version.

My guess is, if you don't drive too hard and she ain't burning oil, the 0w20 or 5w20 is fine.
You might realize a slight MPG gain.
Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back