Accord 2010 EX-L V6 engine noise - cam lobes?

Hello al!

Trying to decide if it is better to sell the car or open up the engine and drop more money into this car.

2010 Accord EX-L, V6 at 118k miles. I love my car, got the timing belt, valve adjustment and the big service done at 105k mi, but it is coming up with different noises and I'm having a hard time whether to keep it or not. I included a video link below. This started a few hundred miles ago, It does this noise starting at 2300 rpm, where it is the loudest. It does it at neutral or when driving, It is less above those rpms but still there. No sound is present at idle or below 2300 rpm. The engine runs very smooth, no jerking, shaking, vibration etc.

I took it to our Honda/Acura only mechanic, who has been servicing the car since 2014, he knows the car very well. He took the belt off to rule out other things and said that it definitely is coming from the top of the engine. He said he would have to further diagnose it but it will not be simple. He is worried that it may be worn cam lobes. The car never had any low oil issues (I read a few different threads on this here), so we are not sure if that is the reason. The oil level does not seem to drop. He said the engine will not likely seize right now, and it does not look like it is going to hurt the engine but obviously it is an issue that we need to get to the bottom of. He said he has had only a few cars with similar issues and if it went all the way to replacing the cam it may run up to $700 (all OEM parts).

Could you please see the video and let me know what your thoughts are? BTW the sound is a lot louder in the video compared to what you hear if you listened to it in person.

https://youtu.be/6z4mouIxZi0

Did it die on you at the end of that video, or did someone turn the car off?

"Did it die on you at the end of that video, or did someone turn the car off?"
No, I turned it off.

"Sounds like it's time to trade that bad-boy in."

Yeah, that was what I was afraid of. Mid 2018 I had all the big work done (105k), got new tires etc. Less than two years and 15k mi later I get this. I probably should have traded it in at 100k but I figured I can get another 100k mi after that work.

"Sounds like a rod to me."

Sorry, could you clarify? Did you mean cam shaft?

I think he means a connecting rod, the thing between the crank and a piston.

I am not so sure, but it is a (sad) possibility.

However a more likely possibility is a tapping lifter. My Pilot had one, then two, until I got the valves adjusted. Did you get the valves adjusted at the same time as the timing belt service?

Last edited:
"I am not so sure, but it is a (sad) possibility."

Sounds expensive, right?

" Did you get the valves adjusted at the same time as the timing belt service?"

Yes, I did, at the same place. Right after I picked up the car for the timing belt replacement, I noticed it was a bit noisier, so took it back, they redid the valve adjustment. It was fine after that. In fact, the owner of the shop reviewed the records to confirm that it was done.

Some Honda dealers and/or mechanics have been setting the valves too tight on these engines during valve adjustments due to carbon buildup on the valves. This is a result of years of running on eco mode. That is why the engine was louder as soon as you picked the car up from the mechanic. They need to take one or both heads off the car and send them to a machine shop. I bet that engine has a few slightly bent valves. Either way one or both heads need to be removed and sent to a machine shop and valves checked/cleaned, etc.

The mechanic needs to eat this work since it sounds like he did it. (Had to redo the valve adjustment)

Thank you all for responding. To clarify, the timing belt / valve adjustment job was not done at the dealership but a very well known Honda/Acura only shop close to me.

Time to pull the covers, it may be a failure of a VCM valve train component also, cam lobes and parts can be inspected and measured to determine their serviceability before throwing parts at it.

Greetings-
If its damaged cam lobe(s), wouldn't it miss or run rough? Perhaps a valve adjustment nut loosened up or was not tightened properly.

Always apply the Kiss principal first.

I got a Honda like that, too. Smoothest and most trouble free car I ever had.

I agree about pulling the valve covers and assessing the situation. Nobody will purchase a car that sounds awful. Honda Vtec systems can have various problems that create noise. Some are quite easy to fix.

Back