Accidentally spilled water into oil! Change or not?

That much water isn't gonna hurt a thing short term, it's long-term if there's continual H2O in there it can create issues with corrosion even though it is an oil soaked and oil coated environment. Good on you for driving it.

So, way back in my Navy days, we had a young sailor who was electronics/fire control specialized. He barely knew how to use a screw driver. He asked us about his car, it was old and was making some noise. I asked him if he was getting oil changes in it, etc. He just looked at me, so, told me everything I needed to know. He was driving it back home to Ohio for Christmas (we were in Connecticut at the Sub Base.) I told him to ensure the fluids were at the full mark. So, I heard much later, that he only had the oil level at about 3/4 or so. So, since he was leaving in the morning, he filled it to the full mark..........with water. Now, small engine, can't remember exactly what it was, but probably only took a quarter of a quart to get it to full mark.

Car was still running. So, there we go.

Forgot to add, he sold the vehicle to a young sonar tech on the ship. My guess is, that friendship had an expiration date on it.....

Not sure what happened to vehicle, I transferred to shore duty shortly thereafter.

So, if you're in Ohio, and you're buying a vehicle from a guy named "Schmiddy".............don't. :)

Last edited:
Back