Accidentally spilled water into oil! Change or not?

You’re only talking half an ounce, I wouldn’t worry about it. Your engine probably produces as much on a cold start.

1. Change it.

2. Run it for 30 mins or so at decent speeds and check it. If it looks normal, motor on. If not, change it.

People run their engines with head gasket failures and the engine can still live.

1. Change it.

2. Run it for 30 mins or so at decent speeds and check it. If it looks normal, motor on. If not, change it.

People run their engines with head gasket failures and the engine can still live.
I haven't changed it yet at least and the oil looks normal , not milky or murky in any way, i did drive it after and it got up to temp.

As others have mentioned, 25ml of water vs 5000ml (or so) of oil, or about 0.2% of the total volume assuming an 5L fil. (The value I could find on-line.)

A good long drive getting the oil up to temp will boil off any water in the sump.

Don'tgive it a second thought, drive it like you normally would and that water is gone when the engine warms up. It's not gonna sacrifice lubrication ability whatsoever, which is the only reason there would be a concern.

Believe it or not, when I was young, MANY years ago I was adding a little antifreeze to my almost new 64 Chevy 6 cylinder, and for some reason I took off the oil cap instead of the radiator cap, and dumped about a cup of green antifreeze in before I woke up. I had just changed the oil also, and I was too cheap to change it again, so just run it till was time to change it. Never seemed to hurt anything. Now I would drain it. But not that small amount of pure water.

In industrial applications the goal of oil analysis is to minimize risk. To many authorities, the caution level of water in engine oil is 0.2% vol. At 0.4% vol they recommend action. Your water content is 0.7%. Why jeopardize the engine for the cost of an oil and filter change?

Back