Accidentally reset my OLM!

When I gassed up yesterday I stepped through the Buick's driver info center screens, zeroing out the gallons used and the miles driven/mpg readout. This is what I always do. But for some reason I stopped on the oil life readout -- and hit the button to reset it instead of moving on to the next screen!

Grrr. No disaster, of course. I knew it was at 69% oil life left just before, with about 2100 miles on the oil since my change in early July. About 10% drop in a month, then. If I go until late December, driving about the same, I should be at 35-40% in actuality, with the readout showing about 70%. Since I drive so little here, with more short trips to the grocery, I'm reluctant to go any longer than 6 months on an oil change even with dexos synth.

I've gotta be more careful about handling these readout screens!

This is why I always reset my Trip B odometer at every oil change. So even if there is a screwup with my OLM, I will be able to easily reference the trip computer to see how many miles it has been. This especially came in handy with my former Ford hybrid because of its factory 20K mile OCI and the most unreliable electrical system ever which screwed with the OLM.

Ford OLM, can be set to anything you'd like. They reset to 100%, of course, but by pressing the buttons in the super secret way, 😅 you can select 90%, 80%, all the way down to 10%.

This is why I always reset my Trip B odometer at every oil change. So even if there is a screwup with my OLM, I will be able to easily reference the trip computer to see how many miles it has been. This especially came in handy with my former Ford hybrid because of its factory 20K mile OCI and the most unreliable electrical system ever which screwed with the OLM.
My OLM is the Trip B odometer as well, then an oil change sticker on my windshield, and a spreadsheet as backups. I ignored the OLM since day one in both my Jeeps, eventually UOA data proved them useless as I suspected. Opinions vary on OLMs, I'm not a fan. Flame suit on.

Last edited:
Its your decision and do whatever makes you feel comfortable but I would personally ignore it ( which is what I do that makes me comfortable)- no "wrong" decision here and there will be no actual damage any way you proceed.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

My oil changes are recorded on a 3x5 index card with date, mileage and oil type used. It gets stored in the driver's door pocket for quick reference. OLMs vary so much that they are mostly unreliable.

'The faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory’

Its your decision and do whatever makes you feel comfortable but I would personally ignore it ( which is what I do that makes me comfortable)- no "wrong" decision here and there will be no actual damage any way you proceed.
Oh, no, I don't really follow the OLM. Usually I reset the OLM and leave it displayed as I drive so I can see how the car's brain "thinks" I'm driving. The Park Avenue's dropped less when I did highway miles, but the Regal and the LaCrosse seem to count down the same no matter how much highway I do. Since I drive less here as opposed to CO, I've been going on a 4500-mile/6-month change schedule.

I'veBeenRued, on all my cars with double trip odometers, I've used the second as an oil life reminder. But I have yet to find the Trip B odometer feature. There should be one, as the Trip A is labeled as such (I use it for mileage between fillups). Time to dig back into the owner's manual, I guess.

Last edited:
I label everything under the hood:
31482F65-F3E5-4EB4-8CE1-C746BD0E1DA5.jpeg

Ollie, I've done that with the new battery -- put the date of replacement on the cover to remind myself. Who knows, I may still be driving this car in 4 years.

As for Trip B odometer, the owner's manual *mentions* it -- but I cannot find it through the menu on the DIC. Trip A is there by default, and I reset that one all the time. But working the up-down steering wheel controls takes me to the next screen or the previous screen; to the right allows me to reset the trip meter and nothing else; and left brings me back to the current screen. Maybe there is a setting somewhere else that allows both to be displayed?

. . .
As for Trip B odometer, the owner's manual *mentions* it -- but I cannot find it through the menu on the DIC. Trip A is there by default, and I reset that one all the time. But working the up-down steering wheel controls takes me to the next screen or the previous screen; to the right allows me to reset the trip meter and nothing else; and left brings me back to the current screen. Maybe there is a setting somewhere else that allows both to be displayed?
Update, all,

There is indeed a setting. The manual doesn't describe it in detail, but I found a YouTube video that shows you what to do. The "Settings" choice at the bottom of the DIC menu (Info, Audio, Phone, Nav, Settings) allows you to select or deselect various pages, and one of them is Trip B. If you select it, it shows on the next screen after Trip A's info. I need to get it into the list of pages, and then I can reset it after my next OC.

This is brilliant. My b trip odometer gets used for nothing anyways.

Update, all,

There is indeed a setting. The manual doesn't describe it in detail, but I found a YouTube video that shows you what to do. The "Settings" choice at the bottom of the DIC menu (Info, Audio, Phone, Nav, Settings) allows you to select or deselect various pages, and one of them is Trip B. If you select it, it shows on the next screen after Trip A's info. I need to get it into the list of pages, and then I can reset it after my next OC.
Done. The reading on the Trip B meter is currently over 11,000 miles, and I've driven the car about that since August of 2019. Maybe the dealership reset it just before I took delivery.

I'll reset it in December, when it will probably read about 13,500!

The OLM hit "81%" today. I know it's 31% too high -- see my original post -- so it's really at 50%, a little more than 4 months into the change, 3060 miles on the oil.

I have a spread sheet for all maintenance. My oil changes on the Honda (which I base on the OLM) vary a fair amount based on my driving habits, from 6214 Km with 20% oil life left (short trips) to 10195 Km with 10% left (long trip in addition to usual driving). I average almost exactly 8,000 Km (5,000 miles) between changes so I think the OLM is doing a good job.

The Trip B meter has only 3 digits (plus one decimal) so it wouldn't help in keeping track of oil life.

Back