Accidentally removed solder mask from pcb

So I'm working on replacing some capacitors and re-soldering all the connections on this pcb. It had conformal coating on the back side of the pcb that i was trying to remove. I was lazy and was using a kind of aggressive paint remover to quickly remove the conformal coating. Long story short i wasnt paying attention and it removed a lot of the solder mask as well. I know that the pcb is fine and i can work around there being missing solder mask. I should just be able to re coat the pcb correct with conformal coating after i am done repairing the solder joints and replacing the capacitors?
PXL_20210418_034004231.jpg

Clear Krylon spray paint is a good clear coat to apply to PC boards after you clean off the resin from soldering. An industrial electronic company I use to work for used it on almost every board they made. Just be sure to mask off any connections of any kind that the board uses to plug into something or that plug into the board so you do not end up electrically insulating the contacts of any connections. We had a spray booth with a fan on the wall side and a spray gun and bought Clear Kryon by the gallon, but also used it from there common spray cans.

If you find some of the Krylon has got onto a connector when you remove the masking tape or plastic or what ever you used, just use a soft pencil eraser to remove the clear Krylon. It is easier to remove it if it has only set up a few hours instead of a day or more.

Last edited:
Clear Krylon spray paint is a good clear coat to apply to PC boards after you clean off the resin from soldering. An industrial electronic company I use to work for used it on almost every board they made. Just be sure to mask off any connections of any kind that the board uses to plug into something or that plug into the board so you do not end up electrically insulating the contacts of any connections. We had a spray booth with a fan on the wall side and a spray gun and bought Clear Kryon by the gallon, but also used it from there common spray cans.

If you find some of the Krylon has got onto a connector when you remove the masking tape or plastic or what ever you used, just use a soft pencil eraser to remove the clear Krylon. It is easier to remove it if it has only set up a few hours instead of a day or more.
thanks thats good to know. I actually have some spray lacquer i am going to use.

Where did the board come from? Where is it used? If it's not in a harsh environment, used inside your home, I wouldn't spray anything on it. Spraying some flux remover after soldering would be good to clean it up. The coating on the traces is used during production when the board is run solder bathed, so solder only sticks to the component joint pads and not the traces.

Last edited:
Back