Accidentally put in 80w90 with winter coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada,North America,Western Hemisphere,Earth,Milk
I mistakenly purchased Shell Spirax 80w90 and put it in my 2008 Tundra rear diff which calls for 75w90.

I am located in Edmonton, Alberta and the temps do dip into the -30, -40 celsius range once in awhile.

The Shell Spirax 80w90 only has a pour point of -30 Celsius.

Please tell me if I am committing differential homicide and if I should drain it for a synthetic lube or if I am wasting my time over thinking this.

I'll second that, Tundra doesn't have the worlds strongest differential to begin with, stick with what Toyota is recommending, also while you're at it, remove and clean the vent plug on top, you're axle seals(4 hour job) will thank you later.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I would switch it to what it calls for.

Agreed.

Yup, change it. Your temperature will be below the pour point which means if you drive, you will not have lubrication.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Yup, change it. Your temperature will be below the pour point which means if you drive, you will not have lubrication.

diffy is not like your engine where oil has to pump.

OP, I am not sure if the oil you put in is synthetic.
If you are not -40C for weeks and months, just take it easy for the first few hundred yrds (that is meters for you guys) your fluid should have warmed up enough.

if you are losing sleep, dump and refill with correct fluid.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Originally Posted By: Kuato

diffy is not like your engine where oil has to pump.

True enough, but it does need to have some flow to do its job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back