Accepted defeat on the Blazer

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fuel pump went out a few weeks ago. Early Saturday morning on my way to work. She pulled me to the house in the Jeep.. no big deal. When removing the tank, I had to cut the couplings between the filler neck and tank to get everything apart. Ordered them Monday last week and just got them the other day because the package was "delayed from weather" on the morning of the expected delivery day.. Bought an OE pump, snap ring, and tank hanger from Rock Auto.

The connector for the smaller pipe is a tad too tight and took some work to get it installed. Got everything together under the truck and couldn't align the tank with how it needed to be orientated with the frame rail and tank straps. With all the maneuvering, I was worried about breaking a wire or fuel line too.

I was able to get everything apart and I'll go back to it this weekend. I'm thinking about dropping the spare tire and removing the whole filler neck and then installing the tank. A blessing in disguise is that a wire from my spliced pig tail came undone. Not sure if I just pulled it out or if I did a [censored] job installing it. They went from a 2x2 connector to a 1x4 connector on the newer models I guess.

Anyways, tomorrow is Friday.
Have a good weekend everyone.

We have all been there a time or two !!! Sometimes walking away for a break and coming back with a fresh head is all you need to keep truckin' .... Best of luck this weekend!

Oh yeah … could almost have a thread on bringing vehicles to a halt (self inflicted) … my best would be snapping the
front Dana 44 on my 1979 PowerWagon … little too aggressive in the gravel pits …

Originally Posted by HangFire
You're only defeated if you never get back to it. Just delayed a bit, that's all!

^^^^^^^^^^

This is right on
smile.gif

Wow. anyone reading this: Carefully cut a hole in the floorboard and make your life easier. I've done it to my Yukon, a Suburban and my old Accord to change the pump. Panel Bond will seal things up nicely if you're really worried about doing it right. JB weld is good enough though. Especially on something that's not worth much $$$. Then when the cheap aftermarket pump you bought dies in a year or two, easy access. Seriously, I changed the Airtex pump out of my 95 accord in 30 minutes when it died a couple of years later.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Wow. anyone reading this: Carefully cut a hole in the floorboard and make your life easier. I've done it to my Yukon, a Suburban and my old Accord to change the pump. Panel Bond will seal things up nicely if you're really worried about doing it right. JB weld is good enough though. Especially on something that's not worth much $$$. Then when the cheap aftermarket pump you bought dies in a year or two, easy access. Seriously, I changed the Airtex pump out of my 95 accord in 30 minutes when it died a couple of years later.

People do this sort of thing with the Grand Cherokee in my signature too. I prefer to do it the right way.

Meh, just because GM is too cheap to provide access, doesn't mean you cant.The Grand Wagoneers had an access plate under the rear seat. Cars have been de-contented forever. My 528e had one in the trunk. It also had a drain plug on the tank.
grin2.gif

What year Blazer?

I did the fuel pump in my 1993 Suburban 2x. The first time I snapped stuff as it was rusted together and no way to avoid snapping it. But the second time everything came undone easily.

On the Suburban the factory used some goey-waxy stuff to keep the hole in the tank that the fuel pump goes into super clean.

I used the wax from a toilet seal. (new).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back