Acceptable filter date

If it's a very common application, 6 months to a year, since they're so common that they should sell quick, and thus fresh items should be easy to get.

For a more obscure application, something less common, 2-3 years

So you guys would be ok with paying for a new filter online and it shows up with a 5 or 10 year old date on it?

I just ordered a couple Wix filters off Amazon and the 51040 showed up with a 04/xx/20 date, the 51036 had a 09/xx/20 date. They usually aren't that old, maybe that's why the had a price drop.

So you guys would be ok with paying for a new filter online and it shows up with a 5 or 10 year old date on it?

I just ordered a couple Wix filters off Amazon and the 51040 showed up with a 04/xx/20 date, the 51036 had a 09/xx/20 date. They usually aren't that old, maybe that's why the had a price drop.
That isn't a deal breaker. :)

Nope, no worries.

I have some Baldwin filters for my truck. They come shrink wrapped. I bought them in 12 or 13 from the U-Haul ebay site. Left over stock from when U-Haul used Fords with 6.9 or 7.3 idi diesels. Last idi was made in 1994. i assume U-Haul kept those trucks around a few years.

So my filters are possibly 20+ yrs old.

I've never even looked for a date. Then again my car is a 99 with 343k miles on it...so I'm not too concerned. I put 400k miles on my 93 Mustang GT, never once looked for a date

I have about 3 Honda Civic oil filters that are 10 years old and I am using them up. I don't worry about it. This is why sometimes a person shouldn't hoard oil filters.

Back