Accelera 651 Sport - 200tw budg-o tire from Indonesia

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
I was looking for a set of tires to do HPDEs with and had done them before on UHP all seasons which for my skill level was fine to start out with but by the end of the second HPDE I did last Nov, I was out-driving them and the outer edge was getting tore up...on a set of ~$950 Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s. Since then, I picked up a second set of wheels and some slightly used summer tires, Continental Extreme Contact Sport in a 235/40/18, which are great street tires but again, wanted more for the track events. Enter Accelera. Picked up a third set of wheels and got a 15% discount code for their vendor tirestreets.com from a guy at the track sponsored by them; I know a few folks I do these events with that run also them with success. $550 delivered for a set of 4 255/40/17s extreme performance summer tires. Driving the last week with them, they are certainly louder than the Contis or Michelins I have but not awful. Had to play with the pressure a bit and landed on 35 hot. Stepping down to a 17 with a taller sidewall than my summers improved the overall ride quality for bumps etc. Just beating around town and pushing them in a few of my "test" spots to the limit they definately have more lateral grip than the Conti summers. Curious how they'll do at the track in Nov. I'll be putting my summer street tires back on soon...definately wouldn't want these as daily tires! The popular tires in this category seem to be Falken Azenis RT660, Yokohama Advan A052, and Hankook Ventus R-S4 at around ~$200+/tire in this size so if these work out, that will be a bargain!

20220916_162913.jpg
20220916_165515.jpg
20220918_150242.jpg

contemplating another set of wheels with track tyres of the same size aswell, Most likely Nankang AR-1 for me though. So interested in your experiences.

Less about the tires, more about your wheel sizing. Agree completely. My Lexus GS comes with 18” stock. Due to the big brakes, there are very few wheels that will fit as a 17 and keep the original offset and backspace. I paid the money for enkei 17” instead of the original 18 and it was the correct move in every way. Better over bumps and regular cracking, lighter on its feet. No loss in communication, and the slightly increased give actually helps toss the car into a solid turn… not quite like turn-in, but sort of. I can get it to ”hook” better? Bold move downsizing the wheel but I agree with your thinking and observations.

Same here, conscious move to order the car with 17", which is the smallest size that fits, and even my upgraded wheels are 17" (but wider). Thinking of getting a 9" wide set for track use with the tyres mentioned above, the daily tyres are 235/45R17 on 8".

My daily wheels with 235/40/18 summers are 18x8.5 et43 and another set with 235/40/18 all seasons are 18x8.5 et45. These wheels are 17x9 et42.

Ok....report after 2 day HPDE at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) this past weekend. Got settled on cold pressures starting at 28-29 psi and ended up after a 24 min session at 34-35 worked best. This was with ambients 70-80 F. They did great. My first time on more aggressive tires and I really liked them....as my instructor said "You got ever one of those $535 out of those today." They ened up a 7-8/32" with even wear so per the comments in the VW community that turned me on to these, they do wear well as a lapping tire. They don't have the outright grip that some of the "super 200s" have but for me at an intermediate driving level they are great and will save trashing my street tires. I started out WAY too high w/r to pressure that landed me at 40 hot and they were all over the place. They give lots of feedback and noise but it's v. predictable and easy to drive/manage. I like them/call them a win for what I paid. If they last 2-3 events I'd be happy. They also make a 100tw that is also supposed to be good but won't manage heat quite as well according to some that use it vs. this model. I've been daily driving them for over a month and honeslty, they aren't even that bad on the street even in the rain. Just a bit loud is really all. I can see forgoeing the street summer performance tires I have and just selling the third set of wheels and just running these and using my Michelin PS4 all seasons the rest of the time.

For the oil....270 F was about the temp over a run. Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 that was put in by my shop when they did my timing chain work last month. I'll run HPL Euro 5W40 next year.

Here's an in-car of solid lap I did (for me) but the phone didn't focus correctly but you get the the idea.

20221106_123500 (1).jpg

20221107_131117.jpg
20221105_104424.jpg

As long as you get some heat in them and you're not dealing with deep water they can work well in the wet. Trouble starts if you can't get them warm. This goes for most tyres in that category. So city driving might not be ideal, they will have reduced grip compared to regular summer tyres.

TiGeo, gotta tell you that car looks like it is a real joy on the track. I'm very much a lover of the 'long roof' performance cars and am curious about yours. Can you give me specifics about what yours is and whats been done to make it live under track conditions? I am ready sometime in the near future to replace my aging subie wagon with something newer, more reliable and it absolutely MUST be a wagon. And it needs to be able to get out of its own way. My email address is simply my user name here at yahoo so please drop me a note. I just bought a set of the tires you are running to try at VIR myself and am really looking forward to seeing how they will do.

Tom

TiGeo, gotta tell you that car looks like it is a real joy on the track. I'm very much a lover of the 'long roof' performance cars and am curious about yours. Can you give me specifics about what yours is and whats been done to make it live under track conditions? I am ready sometime in the near future to replace my aging subie wagon with something newer, more reliable and it absolutely MUST be a wagon. And it needs to be able to get out of its own way. My email address is simply my user name here at yahoo so please drop me a note. I just bought a set of the tires you are running to try at VIR myself and am really looking forward to seeing how they will do.

Tom
Hey man, firstly....here's a video showing what my wagon can do with a somewhat n00b driver behind the wheel:

My car is a somewhat unique model/trim - it's a 2018 VW Golf Sportwagen BUT it's the base S trim that was available with 4Motion awd AND your choice of a 6-spd or the DSG/dual-clutch auto...kind of like a base model with a winter package...awd/these trans choices were only offered on this trim. The Alltrack is the same thing really just a bit different cosmetics but all trims in the Alltrack have this drivetrain so many choose that one for modding. It's basically a Golf R wagon in many respects but with the more economy-focused 1.8L vs. the 2.0. The stock turbo is v. small but you can swap in the larger OE turbo from the GTI or R because these cars are all Golfs and share the MQB platform...so Legos basically. So mine has the larger "IS38" turbo from the Golf R and all the bolt-on accrutements that go with it...larger intercooler, intake, downpipe, etc. etc. Clearly you need software to run it all so I have the Unitronic "Stage 2+" ECU tune and the accompanying "Stage 2" TCU tune; I also run United Motorsport's Haldex awd tune. The car flat out rips. I've done a bunch of suspension/chassis/brake mods (front BBK, sport springs/dampers, larger front/rear sway bars, lower control arms that add camber/caster, camber mounts for the struts. It's really a well sorted daily station wagon that works for HPDE track work or hurts some feelings at stop lights with the oNLy V8s aRE fAST guys...hahaha
Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

engine bay.jpg

Just an update. So I have 5 total track days on these tires at this point plus probably a few K street miles. I'm sitting at 6-7/32 and they started at 9/32 so they are wearing like iron! Nice even wear, I rotated them this past event to try to even them out. I should easily get a 2-3 more track weekends out of them. They are loud on the road and there is on real reason to use that that way beyond getting to/from the track. They are v. predictable and consistent for me. It was actually raining and 38 on the second day and I drove home a few hours with them and had no issues by reducing my speed a bit and just being more careful. They make a standard street summer tire (Phi) and I think I'll get some for my son's Focus this year for him to try out some track driving with. They had a Black Friday sale last year at 50% off so these would have been less than $300 for a set delivered so I'll think I'll get some more when they run another sale. Many folks balk at these and prefer the faster tires like the Flaken Azenis 660s but to me, for lapping/fun, you can't touch this w/r to the value proposition.

A93A1728.jpg

I really appreciate this thread. Tires are an expensive consumable for a cash strapped enthusiast like myself. Always looking for ways to find a good smiles:dollar ratio. Thanks for the insight.

I really appreciate this thread. Tires are an expensive consumable for a cash strapped enthusiast like myself. Always looking for ways to find a good smiles:dollar ratio. Thanks for the insight.
EASTHOOD is 15% discount and they just lowered overall prices. Tirestreets.com

I had a good run out of a set of Nitto NT-01's on the Miata when I was doing track days. They wore like iron as well, and had pretty good/forgivable grip. You could punish them and they would come right back. Started at full tread and just let them go instead of shaving them out of the gate. You wouldn't want to drive them on the street, of course, they chunk pebbles everywhere, and they were LOUD. Like brodozer truck with mudders LOUD. Still, good tire, if a bit more sticky than your 651's.

Wish I'd kept track of how many miles/laps I put on them. I know they lasted me at least 4 Road Atlanta days, and 2 AMP days. Couldn't tell you how many laps.

GRM has some good things to say about the new/revised Nankang tire as well. Seems like they got some good things out of it.

Still regret selling the car. Still want to build something else and get back to doing track days.

Last edited:
I had a good run out of a set of Nitto NT-01's on the Miata when I was doing track days. They wore like iron as well, and had pretty good/forgivable grip. You could punish them and they would come right back. Started at full tread and just let them go instead of shaving them out of the gate. You wouldn't want to drive them on the street, of course, they chunk pebbles everywhere, and they were LOUD. Like brodozer truck with mudders LOUD. Still, good tire, if a bit more sticky than your 651's.

Wish I'd kept track of how many miles/laps I put on them. I know they lasted me at least 4 Road Atlanta days, and 2 AMP days. Couldn't tell you how many laps.

GRM has some good things to say about the new/revised Nankang tire as well. Seems like they got some good things out of it.

Still regret selling the car. Still want to build something else and get back to doing track days.
The issue here is the value proposition. I can now get four of these in a 255/40/17 delivered for about $450 making it probably the lowest price tire (or at least close!) you can take to the track. It's likely more like a 300tw w/r to performance vs. a true 200 but they also offer a 100tw (that is likely more like a 200) for a little more money. These won't win a TT but for lapping work just fine.

Last edited:
6 track days/~9 hours on track. ~a few K street miles. I've rotated them. 6/32" and pretty even wear (some camber).

Screenshot_20230718_165909_Messenger.jpg

I'm on 8 track days and they still have quite a bit of life. I'll probably go one more then switch it up to something gripper.

Back