Academy of Sciences 7/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went over to the Academy of Sciences on Wednesday. I've been to the old Academy of Sciences before they rebuilt it. It was crowded so it was hard to take pictures. Not really spectacular pictures. Just in case someone ask, the camera I used was a Canon PowerShot A540 nothing fancy.

Here is what you see right when you walk into the entrance.
caasci1.jpg

One of the many aquariums there. Back then there were several buildings that housed different exhibits, now everything is placed in one large building with various floors.
caasci2.jpg

This is one of the new things that were added that was a jungle theme. Inside was very humid and there were butterflies flying around.
caasci3.jpg

They call it the living roof.
caasci4.jpg

The pendulum clock. This swings back and forth and hits the standing rods. This has been there at the old place, I'm not sure if its the same exactly original location though.
caasci5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an invitation for opening day last year. I was really there for Jane Goodall's lecture. The exhibits were so crowded I started getting a little claustrophobic. The roof was cool, but it was raining hard that day. if I remember correctly, the hatches open an close based on an automatic system that monitors the interior's environmental conditions. I'll have to go and check the place out when it's not crowded. Probably one day per month is free of charge? By the way, if you haven't checked the top floor of the De Young, you really should. It would make a nice penthouse!

I remember going on fieldtrips there when I was in 4th through 7th grades. I remember the pendulum clock. I am 56 so do the math on at least how old the clock is.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I had an invitation for opening day last year. I was really there for Jane Goodall's lecture. The exhibits were so crowded I started getting a little claustrophobic. The roof was cool, but it was raining hard that day. if I remember correctly, the hatches open an close based on an automatic system that monitors the interior's environmental conditions. I'll have to go and check the place out when it's not crowded. Probably one day per month is free of charge? By the way, if you haven't checked the top floor of the De Young, you really should. It would make a nice penthouse!

For the Academy of Sciences the 3rd Wednesday of the month is free but it most likely crowded. You can go during the neighborhood days, check the website to see when it is.

Deyoung museum free day is 1st Tuesday of the month. I've been to the top floor of Deyoung, very good views.

I really need to proofread what I type.
LOL.gif

Right, I forgot about the neighborhood days. The nice thing I don't have to go by car there. I can just ride through the park to get there.

nice photos, i like the jungle theme and clear water. if it is anythign like australian jungles the water would be muddy.

i assume this is in SF? this means another 20 years before i get to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back