AC went 30 days after adding r134

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
My new car blew hot air. 30 days ago I added R134 and it blew cold air.
Last night it started blowing hot again. It's going to be 100+ degrees for the next 4 days.
Should I just add more to get through the week?

Everyone's gonna say "Fix the problem properly" but it's the end of the season and I say go for it.

I'd say import some air from ohio.. 46 here currently.

I would get it fixed.. you will have to eventually.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
You could...OTOH if you have a leak there's a chance the compressor oil might be low and if you just keep adding refrigerant you might eventually do damage. Remember, the compressor runs when you're in defrost mode, too, not just in AC. Fix it right.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
You could...OTOH if you have a leak there's a chance the compressor oil might be low and if you just keep adding refrigerant you might eventually do damage. Remember, the compressor runs when you're in defrost mode, too, not just in AC. Fix it right.

This is exactly why I had the AC system leak in my beater Taurus fixed in mid-August.

Can't tell if this is a serious thread or if OP is just bragging about SoCal weather.

Originally Posted By: babbittd
RF Overlord said:
clarkflower said:
Can't tell if this is a serious thread or if OP is just bragging about SoCal weather.

LOL 106 I don't brag about. I like 70

Is there one of those problem that has a leak fix?

If you can spare some time (traveling), PM Chris142 (apple valley, CA) and see if he can help resolve your problem once and for all.

As I emphasized many times before: A/C system requires careful investigation and repair, not something for backyard mech or the faint of heart.

Q.

If all the refrigerant leaks out over the winter months, you will have ambient air with moisture in the system and that could cause corrosion. Fix it or sell it.

Wish he was a bit closer than 90 miles away....
Originally Posted By: Quest
If you can spare some time (traveling), PM Chris142 (apple valley, CA) and see if he can help resolve your problem once and for all.

As I emphasized many times before: A/C system requires careful investigation and repair, not something for backyard mech or the faint of heart.

Q.

this. plus the constant engaging and disengaging will wear out the clutch

30 days is a pretty big leak- you can bet the oil is low. If this is a beater car you don't care about long-term, you could add a can of 134a plus oil (usually has leak detect dye as well) and gimp along until the end of the season... then pull the compressor clutch wire so that it doesn't run with the defroster all winter long and tear itself up. Then fix it better in the winter when the AC shops are in their off-season.

with proper appointment and prior-arrangements, 90miles(1-way) is really not that big of a deal, provided that you seriously want your A/C to working properly.

I once traveled over 240+miles 1 way just to get some audio-related parts custom-made and was well worth the drive.

Q.

i would look and feel all the lines and connections you can get to on the ac system, and look at the compressor housing for signs of oil. If everything is dry, and if you use a black light AC leak detector light and see no signs of dye then you can be pretty sure you've lost no oil. a common point of leakage is at the high and low service ports. if they have schrader valves, then get the tool and unscrew them half a turn then reseat. this will sometimes stop or greatly help the leak there at that o-ring.
spend $50 on a set of AC gauges from harbor freight, and add r134-a.
my altima ac would leak in about a months time to where the compressor would cycle on and off because of the low pressure sensor tripping. my leak was only at the high and low service port valves. and when you undo the plastic caps covering those valves, if you hear a little pppft then it is definitely seeping there. many times you can feel it when undoing the plastic cap.

and you said new car... new as in 2014 that's under dealer warranty or just new to you? don't tell the dealer you did anything to the AC if it's "new" car.

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF

and you said new car... new as in 2014 that's under dealer warranty or just new to you? don't tell the dealer you did anything to the AC if it's "new" car.

LOL Sorry. Its a 98. I'ma movin on up..too the eastside
I got my gauge on it and it seemed to have lost 12ish oz

For better or worse I put in Ac Pro AC Pro Super Seal Metal and Rubber A/C Stop Leak Kit (3 oz.)
And 11 OZ of that NASA R134 stuff.

It is cold now

I'll be honest. I make 400 a week on a 1099 and have a 17 year old child living with me.
Mom lost custody to DSS and they sent him to me...I told them so (the a hool judge who gave her custody despite all the signs)
Retired-war of the roses divorce-back to work-laid off and now ...employed at least) I really can't afford to drive there and possible hear 500 bucks. I don't have 500.

Originally Posted By: Quest
with proper appointment and prior-arrangements, 90miles(1-way) is really not that big of a deal, provided that you seriously want your A/C to working properly.

I once traveled over 240+miles 1 way just to get some audio-related parts custom-made and was well worth the drive.

Q.

Last edited:
Some auto repair shops will test your A/C system for certain additives because it may harm their machines. That in mind, I never worked where the machine had some sort of test for those additive.

One thing to remember is that in Florida, environmental laws are often ignored, but in California I have heard those laws actually do get enforced.

If it's not working properly (too low r134a) then you don't have to worry about it coming on in defrost mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back