AC UPF-52 and Fleetguard 3554 StrataPore reviled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had some time so i thought i'd tear into some of my used filters
showing AC Delcos UPF fully synthetic media along with Fleetguards synthetic media(StrataPore) filter.

starting with the AC this is a very unusual filter it has two layers of media the top fist layer is like a cover feels like plastic but it's not it's a coarser synthetic media,very tough to cut or rip,then the main second media layer,very,very fine like you touch it and it smears in your fingers but it's a synthetic media layer,hard to explain,glueing is good no missed spots or globs where they shouldn't be,good construction can,ADBV still pliable after 6,000 miles I changed this filter out for other reasons but could have gone 10,000 miles easily,my new one i installed will be on a year and a half 8-9,000 miles with M1 10w30HM in my '99 Z71 Vortec 5.7

Picture001-3.jpg

AC(6,000 miles)
Picture002-1.jpg

50-2.png

Picture005-1.jpg

crop.jpg

The Fleetguard is about the same way but just one layer of synthetic media nice and thick firm layer. Pleats are closer together then the UPF, the ADBV is the same as the UPF, can is thick and tough to bend or cave in,besides that nothing else to say i guess both of these filters are top rated in my book capable of very long drains use with confidence.

these are my main filters i use(have in stash)use them on all my GM 31-3400 v6's,5.7 and 2200(2.2)I4,also use a few NG too..

Fleetguard StrataPore(7,000 miles)
Picture003.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

I don't think they make them anymore. I got mine from GMPD a few years back. Good filters, though I have to guess that pure one, M1, EaO and similar decent filters would also work well.

Supertech and fram are the two brands that cause startup noise on my horizontally-oriented application.

Originally Posted By: J_Myler
Were do you get the AC UPF filter?

You can still today get them(PN 25322836) through your GM dealer,but you have to buy a case(6)at a time..i get them for $9 ea.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
No Supertechs?
LOL.gif

Just for you Drew i'll see what i can do,but Bill should be able
to "hook you up"

The elements were designed for extreme long life in severe conditons. Like syn oil, many purchasers of these filters really do not understand the products real benefirs.

I used to use a DELCO UPF-44 in my Corvette. I switched to a WIX because a lot of people on Corvette Forum said that UPF filters filter too good, at the expense of flow. My cold start oil pressure went up 10-15 psi, since the oil pressure sensor is AFTER the oil filter, more pressure equals more flow.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The elements were designed for extreme long life in severe conditons. Like syn oil, many purchasers of these filters really do not understand the products real benefirs.

^^Right..

i have no flow/start up noise problems what so ever with any of these filters,the above UPF was ran this winter with 10w30HM.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I used to use a DELCO UPF-44 in my Corvette. I switched to a WIX because a lot of people on Corvette Forum said that UPF filters filter too good, at the expense of flow. My cold start oil pressure went up 10-15 psi, since the oil pressure sensor is AFTER the oil filter, more pressure equals more flow.

May be a function of the '44 filter, which IIRC is smaller than the '52. I noticed no cold or operating temperature pressure changes between various filters on my horizontal mount S10 ZR2 (under the skidplate, connected by relatively long lines).

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

That's got to be from some combo of too high volume or too high visc ..and somehow integrated with your in block bypass valve.

In every case that this has been a reported side effect, it's always been (iirc) an SBC. It would be practically impossible for this to be a static condition (as opposed to transitional). I'd be checking my relief spring for fatigue.

The UPF, IMO, is a crazy good filter. I would probably use them exclusively if they were available in my application.
I think the EaO is right up there, but I haven't really torn into them.

Both look to be very well made extended OCI filters. Just don't understand not using a silicone adbv with such quality filters.

Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Both look to be very well made extended OCI filters. Just don't understand not using a silicone adbv with such quality filters.

Thanks for sharing.

I agree and i asked(both manufacture.) about that issue he told me probably a added cost issue,but who really knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back