AC PF2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this old DuraGuard PF2 filter in my garage. I think it is at least 20 years old considering that I was told it was purchased for a 1972 Ford Truck.

I use FL1A filters on my truck is this the same size? Is it a good filter? Would you guys still use it?

ohiu.jpg

10 years old doesn't seem too bad, I don't know too much about these filters. How do you guess 10 years? Based on the box?

It's 15-20+. I worked at my Dad's shop from 1998-2004 as a kid. Those boxes are older than I remember seeing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyquist
It's 15-20+. I worked at my Dad's shop from 1998-2004 as a kid. Those boxes are older than I remember seeing.

I remember buying a oil filter like this in 1997 so I have to agree your memory is accurate.

Upon further research AC Delco changed to their current logo in 1995 so I would hazard a guess that this filter is closer to 20 years old.

I have a couple of those laying around myself - I used to use them on race cars. Good filters IMO.

Any signs of rust on the base plate or inside the center tube?

Originally Posted By: TFBird
I use FL1A filters on my truck is this the same size?
Yes.
Quote:
Is it a good filter?
Yes.
Quote:
Would you guys still use it?
Considering how inexpensive oil filters are, no.

I asked several filter engineers in interviews what the shelf life of a filter might be. From some, I got very PC answers like three and five years. Off the record, there is not a time limit but one said that if he saw rust on the filter he would assume that the filter had been exposed to excessive moisture and wold not use it. Moisture and cellulose media don't always get along. Thing is, you don't know what it looks like inside. And some of the "rubber" parts inside (ADBV) may have hardened and may not work as designed. If it has a metal bypass, it could be corroded closed.

That said, the odds are good it will be fine but your odds of a problem are much greater than with a new filter and you have absolutely no hope of any help from AC if things go bad.

Finally, oil filters of this era are generally inferior to what you can buy today. Why use yesterday's technology? For $4 you can buy a Puro Classic, for example, that will kick this overage AC's buttocks. The only thing I might see is if you have a vintage car and wanted a period vintage filter on it.

I agree with Jim's comments - using a new filter has many advantages and no risk.

I'd buy a new filter and cut this one open just to see how they built it back then. Kind of like an oil filter "time capsule". Plus, you could see what the condition was on the inside.

It would definitely be interesting to see how it actually held up sitting on the shelf for 20ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back