AC DELCO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Imp4
Patman said:
So then why are you wasting money on it? Sell it and get something else.

Seriously!!
If this vehicle is as bad as OP states at barely 5 years old, why is he putting the money into it???
=============================
Did not see anything in his post that:
1) Was expensive
2) Could not DIY in the driveway

Many of the members (like me) are very attentive to the details … even 12v connections get inspected, cleaned, given a little shot of your favorite CRC stuff etc … Only _______ can be neglected …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
AC Delco makes some pretty shoddy products. Their blower motors are practically garbage. Also wipers that never want to seat properly. I can see your horror when you saw they used that branded oil. Thank God they don't make their own oil, it would be vegetable oil with sawdust "friction modifier"...

AC Delco makes a range of products from cheap lower than white box junk to high OE quality depending on price point and tarnished their brand doing it.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
AC Delco makes some pretty shoddy products. Their blower motors are practically garbage. Also wipers that never want to seat properly. I can see your horror when you saw they used that branded oil. Thank God they don't make their own oil, it would be vegetable oil with sawdust "friction modifier"...

AC Delco makes a range of products from cheap lower than white box junk to high OE quality depending on price point and tarnished their brand doing it.

Thanks for that …
His comment on lubrication products says it all … how many makes accept Dexron …?

Originally Posted by PimTac
🛥🎣

Agree. This thread is a load of nonsense which is something we've already seen from this poster.

One thing about the Equinox, it is one of the easiest vehicles to work on. On our 2017 Equinox 2.4L, I did the transfer and diff lubes change along with MAF and Throttle Body cleaning, all in about 40 minutes. Probably could have been done quicker, but wasn't in hurry. I have checked out pricing and procedure on many problems that folks bring up. A actuator for either the intake or exhaust variable camshafts can be had for under $50 and replaced by the owner in 15 minutes. Plugs can be pulled and replaced in less than 30 minutes. Even the drain and fill plugs on the transmission are not difficult to access and change the fluid. I did all the drive train fluid changes at about 35K miles on ours.

Based on what I have seen from others, I am doing services and other work on our Nox considerably sooner than the OEM recommendation. Nice that it is relatively easy and cheap to work on.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by GaryPoe

As it sits now we are having the car rebuilt. It has 60k+ on it now, brakes were just replaced saturday, it has a drivers side axle seal leak, transmission fluid they said needs replaced every 30k because the fluid is getting too dark too quick, the battery and positive wiring harness had to be replaced as corrosion ate it completely to a nub, rear wiper blade spring is shot but somehow still wipes, the muffeler needs replaced as it has split down the seam from end to end, and they say its time to replace shock absorbers although i dont see they are that bad yet... outstanding chevy quality.

Its almost paid for thats not going to happen. Its not a bad little car, just not my flavor and I didnt buy it.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Or there's no drain or fill plugs so you just don't do PM on the 18 ounces in that heat soaked PTU ?
New take on maintenance free.

I have to get some ramps to get the thing in the air to find out what im capable/comfortable of doing. Fluid and minor repair should not be an issue but a larger project like front struts i do not have the tools or the time/patience to take it on.

Yes … even my V8's seem to sit further back and combining that with electric cooling fans the whole engine is easy to get to for expendable parts … all the driveline has good access and drain/fill plugs.

I can do the Cruze ATF in 10 minutes … and never get dirty …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by Imp4
Patman said:

Seriously!!
If this vehicle is as bad as OP states at barely 5 years old, why is he putting the money into it???
=============================
Did not see anything in his post that:
1) Was expensive
2) Could not DIY in the driveway

Many of the members (like me) are very attentive to the details … even 12v connections get inspected, cleaned, given a little shot of your favorite CRC stuff etc … Only _______ can be neglected …

Yes, sure, except OP states that he is having it rebuilt and then goes on to bellyache....

Im not fishing or trying to bash chevy. I asked a question in my first post and its branched out onto several other topics. I just dont like the fact every time I look at it something needs repaired/replaced so yeah i aint happy about it. But i want to stay on top of things so it doesnt fall apart.
Expenses: Chevy dealer charges $500 for transmission flush, had it done at Certified for $250
Brake pads: $199 per axle
Batter terminal wiring harness i think was $300 installed, plus another $150 for the battery it ate.
Quote for drivers side axle seal $600
They want to replace the ahock absorbers that are not bad, they want to flush the brake fluid which is not bad.... the list goes on and on. Every time we take it to the dealer an oil change turns into required repair. Am I angry, and to bellyach about it?

An AC Delco AC compressor was original equipment on my 99 SS. It lasted 13 yrs. Put in another one 4 yrs ago....still going strong.

I also use AC Delco manual transmission and transfer case lubricant (a modified ATF) in my 1999 Camaro manual transmission. It's meet the OEM specs and also has a GM part number associated with it.

I use 2 AC-Delco products and am satisfied with the quality.

Last edited:
Brakes are one of the more straight forward vehicle repairs, especially if they are disc brakes. If you're comfortable and either have or can borrow the tools, you can potentially save yourself quite a bit of money by replacing them yourself. I'm sure someone has a tutorial on YouTube for your vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Patman

As it sits now we are having the car rebuilt. It has 60k+ on it now, brakes were just replaced saturday, it has a drivers side axle seal leak, transmission fluid they said needs replaced every 30k because the fluid is getting too dark too quick, the battery and positive wiring harness had to be replaced as corrosion ate it completely to a nub, rear wiper blade spring is shot but somehow still wipes, the muffeler needs replaced as it has split down the seam from end to end, and they say its time to replace shock absorbers although i dont see they are that bad yet... outstanding chevy quality.

Its almost paid for thats not going to happen. Its not a bad little car, just not my flavor and I didnt buy it.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Or there's no drain or fill plugs so you just don't do PM on the 18 ounces in that heat soaked PTU ?
New take on maintenance free.

I have to get some ramps to get the thing in the air to find out what im capable/comfortable of doing. Fluid and minor repair should not be an issue but a larger project like front struts i do not have the tools or the time/patience to take it on.

Tools will pay for them selves in the medium / long run .

If you just do not wish to do it , fine . Otherwise , look it up on youtube .

I did not wish to change a fuel pump / sending unit this last weekend , but I did ( with the help from son & grandson ) .

Im not fishing or trying to bash chevy. I asked a question in my first post and its branched out onto several other topics. I just dont like the fact every time I look at it something needs repaired/replaced so yeah i aint happy about it. But i want to stay on top of things so it doesnt fall apart.
Expenses: Chevy dealer charges $500 for transmission flush, had it done at Certified for $250
Batter terminal wiring harness i think was $300 installed, plus another $150 for the battery it ate.
They want to replace the ahock absorbers that are not bad, they want to flush the brake fluid which is not bad.... the list goes on and on. Every time we take it to the dealer an oil change turns into required repair. Am I angry, and to bellyach about it?

I took delivery one of first available 2010 GMC Terrains in California in the fall of 2009. My had the 2.4 and that year had they major issues regarding the HPFP and timing chain. Both were replaced within the first year of owning it. Oil changes every 5k, transmission was drained and refilled every 30k and spark plugs replaced every 50k. 7 years and 145k miles nothing else was touched on it. Original brakes!!!. You obviously have neglected yours over the years.

As I mentioned the other day … absolutely beat on my 2010 GMC truck for 8 years and it only needed gas, tires, and oil …

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 4WD
You can sometimes tell by the container … Mobil for example
Yup, looks like Mobil Super
... and also exactly like the bottles in which the Toyota dealer sold me Toyota WS ATF.

This has nothing to do with GM you have a terrible dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back