AC Delco Select Plus semi syn 10w40

Hi there,
I have had a search on this but cannot find anything in regards to reviews, opinions or any analysis data.

It looks pretty decent on paper for a semi syn & the cost is quite cheap here in Aus at around $150/20L

Believe it is made by Exxon in Singapore to a custom spec? As I cannot find an equivalent Mobil branded 10w.

If anyone can chime in on thoughts based on the data spec sheet, or personal use & if any analysis it would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff

Attachments

• C06C28C3-87A3-4887-88BA-77073184B361.jpg
    C06C28C3-87A3-4887-88BA-77073184B361.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 26
  • CC25040A-CA1C-4A03-8AA8-A5AFEBB9D6B2.jpg
    CC25040A-CA1C-4A03-8AA8-A5AFEBB9D6B2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 26
That right there aint lookin half bad if i do say so myself. Pretty high saps gas oil with use in some older diesels. Fitting for the Australian market and that aint a bad thing. Yall aint inundated with the newest junk like we are. Yall still got them beautifully old school diesel land rovers.

It being a non US specific sku you'd probably find nothin on here. But even without voa's and others experiences Id be confident in easily using this for 9-11k miles in my old gas trucks like I do with cheaper $2.75 a quart CK rated diesel oil.

And that translates to about $7.15 a quart so if that's cheap then hooooweeee you better believe I'd squeeze every bit out of it before dumping it out.
1646453094190.jpg

Specific Gravity 0.867
100C - 15.6
40C 113
Pour Point -36C

API SP

Mobil Super Synthetic Blend 10W-40

That product appears to bear no relationship to the only thing I can find in the USA.

That right there aint lookin half bad if i do say so myself. Pretty high saps gas oil with use in some older diesels. Fitting for the Australian market and that aint a bad thing. Yall aint inundated with the newest junk like we are. Yall still got them beautifully old school diesel land rovers.

It being a non US specific sku you'd probably find nothin on here. But even without voa's and others experiences Id be confident in easily using this for 9-11k miles in my old gas trucks like I do with cheaper $2.75 a quart CK rated diesel oil.

And that translates to about $7.15 a quart so if that's cheap then hooooweeee you better believe I'd squeeze every bit out of it before dumping it out.
View attachment 91360

Older 90’s mechanically injected diesel & a Hyundai Getz daily is what I intend to use it for.

It is cheap for Australia. Most decent semi synthetic’s are around $40-50 for 5L usually, unless on sale at a particular store. Mobil 1 oils here are a minimum of around $85/5L with the 0-40 M1 only a few dollars short of $100/5L

Rediculous price

Specific Gravity 0.867
100C - 15.6
40C 113
Pour Point -36C

API SP

Mobil Super Synthetic Blend 10W-40

That product appears to bear no relationship to the only thing I can find in the USA.

Has to be a specific Australian market blend I think

I’ve searched on & off for days but cannot find anything the same

Older 90’s mechanically injected diesel & a Hyundai Getz daily is what I intend to use it for.

It is cheap for Australia. Most decent semi synthetic’s are around $40-50 for 5L usually, unless on sale at a particular store. Mobil 1 oils here are a minimum of around $85/5L with the 0-40 M1 only a few dollars short of $100/5L

Rediculous price
I would absolutely use this all day instead of the even more expensive and I wouldn't be surprised if it could do 15000+ kilometer intervals for you. Unless you do some severe idling and city driving I'd take it a bit farther. i go longer with diesel oil that seems lesser than this.

Looks similar to Mobil Super 2000 X2 10W-40
this columbian doccument from 2019 is identical
The current "Super 2000 Formula P" Australian doccument looks similar

Reactions: SR5
I found a couple of Australian websites that sell Mobil Super 2000 X2,
https://www.m1oils.com.au/product/super-2000-x2-10w-40/ , this one lists all the same specs, don't know where they came from,
this one has links to the mobil PDS, but they're now dead.

So I guess Mobil is maybe discontinuing this product in Australia?

I found a couple of Australian websites that sell Mobil Super 2000 X2,
https://www.m1oils.com.au/product/super-2000-x2-10w-40/ , this one lists all the same specs, don't know where they came from,
this one has links to the mobil PDS, but they're now dead.

So I guess Mobil is maybe discontinuing this product in Australia?

Yes I remember about six months ago or maybe more Mobil were selling X2 & brought in a new one I had not seen in Aus before which was called Formula S2 10w40.

But since rebranding to Ampol recently a lot has changed with the only a Super 2000 Formula P 10w40 out now.

That original Super 2000 X2 you listed looks the same indeed so the AC Delco must be a re-packaged version of that.

Here are some links to those specs of those two which were recently available

SAPS has increased in the Formula P & Formula X2, although HTHS has slightly decreased to 3.8 from 4 (Ac Delco) as well as TBN from 12 (ac Delco) to 10.2/10.7

Either way I think any of these will do the job very well.

I would absolutely use this all day instead of the even more expensive and I wouldn't be surprised if it could do 15000+ kilometer intervals for you. Unless you do some severe idling and city driving I'd take it a bit farther. i go longer with diesel oil that seems lesser than this.

Not much idling only about upto 5min warm up before driving & I live in a rural area with daily commute to work/home everyday 40klm sometimes 60klm a day if I need to run back into town.

I usually change oil around 10,000klm for seasonal change here as we go from around 17 degrees Celsius to 25 odd in summer to winter being -5 upto 10 in the day.

For Australia the price is okay to do this for me though I may get an analysis done after the first interval & check how it performs.

Speaking of picking up some oil very cheap, our local nation wide parts store ( Repco) had a blunder on clearance brand stock of Caltex Havoline Pro DS 5w40 20L containers @ $33ea
Picked up three

Not much idling only about upto 5min warm up before driving & I live in a rural area with daily commute to work/home everyday 40klm sometimes 60klm a day if I need to run back into town.

I usually change oil around 10,000klm for seasonal change here as we go from around 17 degrees Celsius to 25 odd in summer to winter being -5 upto 10 in the day.

For Australia the price is okay to do this for me though I may get an analysis done after the first interval & check how it performs.

Speaking of picking up some oil very cheap, our local nation wide parts store ( Repco) had a blunder on clearance brand stock of Caltex Havoline Pro DS 5w40 20L containers @ $33ea
Picked up three
5 minutes of idle and in 62F+ weather. why. i idle for up to about 5 seconds even at 4c so oil pressure builds and ill slowly drive off. I would only idle for 5 minutes if it was extremely cold.

5 minutes of idle and in 62F+ weather. why. i idle for up to about 5 seconds even at 4c so oil pressure builds and ill slowly drive off. I would only idle for 5 minutes if it was extremely cold.

Figured it doesn’t hurt while I have a coffee I suppose, & straight after pulling onto the road where there’s some climbing under load at around 15psi boost in the old tdi. should the warm up with this be decreased still?

If I drive it easier for warm up say 8-10 psi I’d be rather a pest on the road doing 37mph in a 62 zone

For the petrol vehicles, one being high performance (600hp)

Maybe a minute then drive as you can be at 62mph without any load very easily

Figured it doesn’t hurt while I have a coffee I suppose, & straight after pulling onto the road where there’s some climbing under load at around 15psi boost in the old tdi. should the warm up with this be decreased still?

If I drive it easier for warm up say 8-10 psi I’d be rather a pest on the road doing 37mph in a 62 zone

For the petrol vehicles, one being high performance (600hp)

Maybe a minute then drive as you can be at 62mph without any load very easily
It's not even necessary to be fully honest unless it's below -10c or 15F. But even then I'd limit it to about 2-3 minutes. You're just wasting fuel. That oil is plenty thin enough at that warm temp, I only idle long enough until the pressure gauge no longer climbs when it's above 25f or -4c. Below that and i'll let it idle a bit.

15W is approved by engine manufacturers down to -15C even after the oil in a diesel gets soot loaded. I wouldn't give 10W a second thought at -5C.

15W is approved by engine manufacturers down to -15C even after the oil in a diesel gets soot loaded. I wouldn't give 10W a second thought at -5C.
that is true but at that temp i refer more to the person wanting to warm up more than the car. in the real cold temps it takes about 2 mins in my trucks to get the heated seats going and some warm air blowing. I run 15w in my engines and they run fine at low temps but i sure don't. I shiver enough to shake the front wheels trying to drive it cold.

Hi Mate,

that looks like a typical (good) 10W40 semi-synthetic that are very common in Australia. Shell Helix HX7, Castrol Magnatec, Valvoline DuraBlend/ Engine Armour, Penrite Vantage, etc, all produce 10W40 semi-synthetics. They are all rated (API SN/CF or SN-Plus or SP) and Euro (ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4), so you are in good company and I have used this type of oil a lot over the years. Theses oils do a good job and are very popular in Australia.

The price for the ACdelco is $37.50 for 5L, which is better than most of the others listed above when paying full price. But who pays full price? Every second week, Supercheap Auto or AutoBarn or Repco is having a sale, then a typical 10W40 would drop from the usual $50 for 5L to something like $20 for 5L.

Your price is splitting the difference, which is fine, especially if you are too busy or not interested in chasing oil sales.

It's a good oil, a good brand , with good specs and at a good price. If you want it, then go for it.

BTW I've used a lot of the Penrite 10W40 semi-syn, and the Valvoline DuraBlend 10W40 semi-syn over the years, and would happily run them again today (or the ACdelco) in any of my cars.

Last edited:
Hi Mate,

that looks like a typical (good) 10W40 semi-synthetic that are very common in Australia. Shell Helix HX7, Castrol Magnatec, Valvoline DuraBlend/ Engine Armour, Penrite Vantage, etc, all produce 10W40 semi-synthetics. They are all rated (API SN/CF or SN-Plus or SP) and Euro (ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4), so you are in good company and I have used this type of oil a lot over the years. Theses oils do a good job and are very popular in Australia.

The price for the ACdelco is $37.50 for 5L, which is better than most of the others listed above when paying full price. But who pays full price? Every second week, Supercheap Auto or AutoBarn or Repco is having a sale, then a typical 10W40 would drop from the usual $50 for 5L to something like $20 for 5L.

Your price is splitting the difference, which is fine, especially if you are too busy or not interested in chasing oil sales.

It's a good oil, a good brand , with good specs and at a good price. If you want it, then go for it.

BTW I've used a lot of the Penrite 10W40 semi-syn, and the Valvoline DuraBlend 10W40 semi-syn over the years, and would happily run them again today (or the ACdelco) in any of my cars.

Hey buddy
Definitely some good buys on sale nearly every week from different shops.

Sometimes pick up HX7 or Mag 10w40 when they come down to $25 odd from super cheap/Autobarn although havnt seen this in a while.

Still have a 5L of HX7.

I like to stick to the major brands personally, something about Penrite in their marketing I don’t like combined with outsourcing base stock etc. bit gimmicky

Probably okay stuff, though I tend to stay with shell, Mobil ,Caltex or Castrol as I have never had any mechanical issues & they supply worldwide to major industry etc.

I hear ya on the weather, it’s been absolutely pouring inland north nsw!

Nothing major compared to se qld & north nsw coast although. They have it really tough at the moment

Back