AC Delco PF457G 9300 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just removed this from my 2007 Cobalt. Filter was put in service back on February and was in service for just about 9300 miles. Oil used was Valvoline Nextgen Maxlife 10w30. It was longer then I had planned on running the oil. Was hoping to change it out by 7500 miles but just didn't have a chance. Filter looked amazingly good and was replaced with a Driveworks DW-5436.
332qsqw.jpg
2ustm2p.jpg
2ustm2p.jpg
2d0x74o.jpg

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Why so thick?

A 5w-30 IIRC was specified

Filter looks good tho

10w30 and 5w30 are the same viscosity.

Above 32 degrees F there is no difference except a 10w30 will hold it's grade longer over an OCI due to less VII (thinning) additive.

Only reason why I used the Maxlife 10w 30 was I get a 5 quart jug of it super cheap at Autozone. I believe it was like less then 5 bucks for the jug. I also believe it was a synthetic blend but I am not totally sure of that. I refilled the car with Napa Synthetic 5w30.

I bought 6 Fram XG9018 oil filters for $42 on Ebay for wife's 'Nox 2.4. They make the AC and Puro's look very cheap. Maybe Fram is reading this site and upping their quality.

^^^ The Ultra/XG from Fram has always been good quality.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
I bought 6 Fram XG9018 oil filters for $42 on Ebay for wife's 'Nox 2.4. They make the AC and Puro's look very cheap. Maybe Fram is reading this site and upping their quality.

I put an XG 9018 into my buddies 2007 Cobalt after seeing how poorly the Delco came out from a run with life still left on the monitor.

If he keeps letting me change his oil it will be XG's all in the future, maybe run them more than one OCI, but this time i will run it once to see how it handled it.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Why so thick?

Filter looks good tho

Above 32 degrees F there is no difference except a 10w30 will hold it's grade longer over an OCI due to less VII (thinning) additive.

Correct. Unless you live in Alaska, the difference between 5w30 and 10w30 is very small.

The XG9018 is a nice looking filter. I might try one in the near future. I picked up the Driveworks with a package deal with some Mobil Super Synthetic from Advance Auto a few weeks ago. I ordered a XG16 for my Dakota from Amazon for an upcoming oil change. Can't wait to see how the Ultra holds up.

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Why so thick?

Filter looks good tho

Correct. Unless you live in Alaska, the difference between 5w30 and 10w30 is very small.

Or the Northern Plains, where it gets to -20 and below for a couple months in the winter.
smile.gif

I realize that 9300 miles was likely pushing the Maxlife Nextgen to its limits but the car indicated that it still had 16 percent oil life remaining. That's why I'm going to stick with synthetic in the near future. Simply because if I have to push the OCI a little longer then planned I feel that synthetic oil is better suited to the task of running extended intervals.

This is an ecotec cartridge application isn't it? After seeing many of these posted here, I consider one that doesn't come out with a squished (or is it squashed, smushed?) looking appearance to be a big success. And for 9300 miles this one looks stellar. I think I'd stick with ACD, generally speaking they have looked the best. Is this ACD the Hengst made one? Whatever it looks great. Perhaps you know the best installation procedure.

Thanks for the pics.

Sayjac, I did find one problem on a puro synthetic. The o-ring on the tip was too thick, you could not push it in pilot hole with your hand, used the old o-ring, went right in. If it won't push in by hand, maybe that is why some are getting squished. That's just a test fit then I click in the oil cap and install. Use oil or grease on the o-ring so it goes in ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back