AC Delco oil filter come stock on all GM vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anarchy, your question may be misguided. Let me give you an example: OEM (factory- installed) Ford oil filters are made by Champion Laboratories (no relation to the spark-plug people), who also make SuperTech, STP, Mobil 1, K&N and a host of other private-label filters. Aftermarket Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator. Are they both "Ford" filters?

I'm sure GM has a similar arrangement with a major filter manufacturer. I do know that ACDelco filters are second-sourced by Champion as well, so while an OEM filter might say "ACDelco" on it, there may be no easy way to tell who actually produced it.

GM vehicles come with an acdelco filter, but its got a red label generally rather than the normal blue one. I think its just to designate it as the original factory filter. I do know the vibes were coming with toyota filters for awhile, not sure if they still are or not.

The new Corvettes definitely come with nothing but AC Delco oil filters, and I'm pretty sure the Caddys are the same.

Yep, all GM vehicles come with AC DELCO oil filters. Years ago the original factory filters were black and the replacements were blue. Now they are all blue. I've not noticed the different color labels as mentioned above...but I will check the engine line tommorrow at work to see!

2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6L

Who made what filter? AC Delco won't tell me, all they will say is what difference does it make, were a global company. Note - New filter came from authorized AC Delco dealer, not a GM dealer who want 4 times the price of AC Delco

Original filter on right came out car built Nov. 2008, new AC Delco on left built when??

Anyone know how to read the date codes?

MVC-007X.jpg

Quote:
I do know the vibes were coming with toyota filters for awhile, not sure if they still are or not.

Its a Toyota with Pontiac accents.

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO February 13, 2004; Norihiko Shirouzu writing for the Wall Street Journal reported that General Motors Corp. and Toyota Motor Corp. vowed to continue to cooperate and operate a small-vehicle manufacturing venture in California to share ideas in manufacturing and other aspects of the business.

But as the world's two-biggest auto makers Thursday celebrated the 20th anniversary of the venture, New United Motor Manufacturing Inc., in Fremont, Calif., reasons for its existence were becoming less clear.

Both companies have more or less fulfilled their initial objectives in forming the joint venture, with GM absorbing the secrets of Toyota's lean manufacturing to improve vehicle quality at its own plants in North America and Toyota learning from GM the ins and outs of running manufacturing facilities on U.S. soil.

The venture's president and chief executive, Yuki Azuma, also said the plant was fighting to quell one of the worst spells of quality problems in its history over the past two years, particularly with the Pontiac Vibe, a small hatchback derived from Toyota's Corolla car. The plant began producing the redesigned Corolla for Toyota and the Vibe for GM to sell in the U.S. in 2002. The venture shipped 74,223 Vibes to GM last year.

Quote:
I do know the vibes were coming with toyota filters for awhile, not sure if they still are or not.

My 05 Vibe came with a black Toyota filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6L

Who made what filter? AC Delco won't tell me, all they will say is what difference does it make, were a global company. Note - New filter came from authorized AC Delco dealer, not a GM dealer who want 4 times the price of AC Delco

Original filter on right came out car built Nov. 2008, new AC Delco on left built when??

The Valucraft filters Autozone sells are e-core filters made in Mexico.

Therefore AC Delco must have a filter plant down there.

They probably make their entire line in Mexico.

Ready to shut it all down up here in the USA to keep profits high for the profit man.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The Valucraft filters Autozone sells are e-core filters made in Mexico.

Therefore AC Delco must have a filter plant down there.
I think you meant "Therefore Champion Laboratories must have a filter plant down there". And yes, they do.

Thanks for the correction.

To be precise, I was trying to state Champion had a plant there and they are producing AC Delco labeled product.

And that concerns me.

Due to the GM link, I trust AC Delco filters to have better QC than the other Champion produced filters - Mexican or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back